Tailgate Locking Problem.

Yorksblue

VIP Member
Hi All,

I've seen a few posts on here re-tailgate locking issues but unfortunately none that have helped with my issue. The tailgate lock on my 2017 T6 (T32) seems to be "electrically" locked and I cannot open it with either the key fob, or either of the exterior or interior releases. I managed to open it by removing the grommet etc as per previous posts, but when closed it just locks again. I have fault 00893 and cannot clear it!!

I have checked the fuse diagrams on the VIP section and cannot see any that would only affect the tailgate

Any idea's where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Have you replace the lock mechanism? I'd say it looks.like a faulty lock

Yeah, I think that is likely to be the answer but was seeing if there was anything else I could check first. Thanks

So, I’ve bought and fitted a new actuating mechanism, still no go. l’m convinced there’s no power getting to the switches as neither the external or internal one will operate the lock. If I press the key fob, the indicators flash, and I cannot clear the fault code either. Also I saw on one of the diagrams that there could be a fuse which may have blown in fuse board F, but I have nigh on stripped the cab and cannot locate fuseboard F. (where it’s shown in the layout diagram in the downloads section)
Pulling what bit of hair I have left out in search of a solution (other than giving in and taking it to VW). Anyone have any clues what/where I should be looking

Also I saw on one of the diagrams that there could be a fuse which may have blown in fuse board F,
That would be electrically operated tailgate?
cannot locate fuseboard F.
Centre of dash panel - fuse strip on the left of the main "SC" fuseboard. Below fuses SF1...SF12.

1660417300858.png

fault 00893

I cannot open it with either the key fob, or either of the exterior or interior releases.
00893 - Switch for Trunk Handle (E234)
The interior release switch is from factory?
Can you easily access ceiling by D-pillar? All tailgate wiring goes through a connector in there. Could check if you could trigger tailgate latch opening from there ?
EDIT: 17 pin black connector - backprobing pin 13 (green wire) connect it to ground - should drive tailgate latch open.

That would be electrically operated tailgate?

Centre of dash panel - fuse strip on the left of the main "SC" fuseboard. Below fuses SF1...SF12.

View attachment 168727

00893 - Switch for Trunk Handle (E234)
The interior release switch is from factory?
Can you easily access ceiling by D-pillar? All tailgate wiring goes through a connector in there. Could check if you could trigger tailgate latch opening from there ?
EDIT: 17 pin black connector - backprobing pin 13 (green wire) connect it to ground - should drive tailgate latch open.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve seen this diagram but unless I’m missing something cannot find SF12!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve seen this diagram but unless I’m missing something cannot find SF12!
Sorry but still unclear to me - is your tailgate fully electric - which opens and closes by electric motors OR normal tailgate with gas struts?

Sorry but still unclear to me - is your tailgate fully electric - which opens and closes by electric motors OR normal tailgate with gas struts?
Normal with struts. Many thanks, I’ve tracked down the problem. Cable compromised causing fault. Just got the repair to do now.!!

Rear bulkhead where cable comes from tailgate into bodywork.
Is this a common issue.

I have a similar fault on mine and cannot get it looked at by VW until 12th April at the earliest. Looking to try and work out what I can do to get it fixed before that time. There is no click from the lock when I operate the key or push the button to try and release and the internal switch does not work either. The only way I can open the boot is to climb in to the back and trigger the release on the lock directly.....

I doubt its a common issue, mine was self inflicted when I did some modifications to the camper conversion. And I only found it after I bought a new door lock solenoid/actuator.

I doubt its a common issue, mine was self inflicted when I did some modifications to the camper conversion. And I only found it after I bought a new door lock solenoid/actuator.
Hi @Yorksblue having a similar issue after we fitted rooftop bed….now lights flash but no power to tailgate and deadlock not clunking….can open from inside when I press down on the actuator. How did you a) know it was that and b) find and fix the compromised cable? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

As the fuse for the door locking kept blowing I knew there had to be a short somewhere, obvious place to look was where I had drilled the bulkhead to anchor a cupboard which was fitted by the converters. In short (excuse the pun), the cable for the locking mechanism comes from the tailgate into a box section just below the roof (passenger side on my vehicle), and I had knicked a cable with the drill. The remedy was to remove the cupboard and the upper bed then remove the carpet & cut and peel back the metalwork, repair the damaged cables, check everything worked and then refit everything. If you've drilled close to the edge for bed fixing then that might be a good place to start looking. Hope you sort it put soon.

Thanks @Yorksblue checked fuses and not blown so left scratching my head! Going to have another look this weekend, now wondering if it’s the solenoid…….

Back