Tailgate handle release opening when driving

Randolph

T6 Pro
When I start the engine and then open and close driver’s door, the tailgate handle release unlatches the the lock.
This is happening on 2021 T6.1.
Has anyone had this problem?

Do you have the tailgate release button in the driver's door pocket?

If so possibly either a fault in the switch triggering when the door shuts from the shock or maybe chaffing wires?

Hi @roadtripper, no I haven’t got that switch in the door.
I have 2 buttons on the top of the door card. 1 for locking cabin and 1 to lock the back of the van.
I have taken the back tailgate panel off and no problem with wires.
It doesn’t do the unlatching until the engine is started.

I developed the same problem at the weekend on my T6. Would really appreciate any advise on what to check for. All appears to be aligned, no movement in the door when closed, nothing is blocking the catch, but it just pops open intermittently when the van is running. Stays locked when the van is parked up and central locking is engaged.

Possibly worth checking if the issue is mechanical or electrical by pulling the fuse for the tailgate (diagrams in the VIP Section)

Other things to look for are chaffing wires in the body to tailgate area and if you have door switches same between the door and body.

Check for water ingress in the tailgate release handle as well, I think some folks have had issues there.

Finally double check the obvious, that you're not somehow triggering a release on the remote if you have one.

I also have this happen ,when the tail gate opens itself whilst driving !! It's happened 3 or 4 times and it's quite alarming!! I have 2 switches on the b post on the driver's side .it's usually after i have pulled away from home .
The seat belt clip had dropped down the vertical belt , since I have put a restrainer to stop the clip slipping down the belt I have not had this problem touch wood .
I assumed I may have touched the release gate scrabbling fir the belt clip .
I'm not discounting that the switch may be faulty , but it seems ok the past few week or 2 .

Thanks for all the replies to this. It appears my local VW commercial dealer (Bilston, West Mids) can't look at this until the end of January! Can anybody recommend an independent in the Dudley area that might be equipped to solve my problem please? Additionally, is there anyway I can keep the door locked and unable to spring open so I can at least drive the van? (Remove fuse or disconnect the faulty switch or similar?). I'm experimenting with string, but the lock keeps trying to lock and unlock by itself. I'm not practical so tips need to be straightforward, thanks all!

I would unplug the handle (switch part on the outside) this can be done by removing the tailgate internal cover , if you look at the rear of the handle it has a cable plugged in to it I think it was 3 pin black.
It may be you have a faulty switch part in the handle, by doing this it would eliminate this part and stop it opening.
I had to replace both the door latch and the handle on my 17 plate T6.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the replies to this. It appears my local VW commercial dealer (Bilston, West Mids) can't look at this until the end of January! Can anybody recommend an independent in the Dudley area that might be equipped to solve my problem please? Additionally, is there anyway I can keep the door locked and unable to spring open so I can at least drive the van? (Remove fuse or disconnect the faulty switch or similar?). I'm experimenting with string, but the lock keeps trying to lock and unlock by itself. I'm not practical so tips need to be straightforward, thanks all!
I'm very interested in diagnosis when you eventually get it sorted, as every time I use the van I'm expecting the tailgate open itself again .
. I've done 2x 40 mile round trips this week with no issues but I'm still expecting it opening at any time !!!

The dealership fitted a new external handle which fixed the problem.
I took the rear internal panel off and unplugged the wiring to the handle until the dealership could have it in for repair.
I could still open from the inside when needed.

Hi i have the same issue. Stripped the rear door and proved the switch not working with a continuity test.
The question is does anyone know the part number. I might be daft but the ones on ebay don't have a hole for the key lock. I want to keep this it's the only way I open it. FYI 2020 T6.1.

Just bought it and has lots of gremlins

Thank you.

17117340924318059343879134010972.jpg

What other gremlins do you have?
Front doors handles freezing and unable to open ?
Not been cold enough had that on a volvo xc90 before.
Heating not changing. Found that to be a white plastic gear on a servo. On order. Apparently small hands to fit it.

Also high oil level randomly. Done a dip stick check and was on high limit. Ordered a suction pump to lower level 500ml. Hopefully over filled last service.

Thanks

You can check the door handle recall with the dealership and would be carried out free of charge if it hasn’t been carried out

Thank you. Zooming in some have the hole some don't. I will make sure I order the right one.

Thanks
Do they have an over cover, you buy assembly only? Is that my mistake why i cannot see the lock? some show without out a over plate (black or colour coded).
You can check the door handle recall with the dealership and would be carried out free of charge if it hasn’t been carried out
Will do thanks, I have it booked in on the 9th of April for a door wiring recall? So I will ring them Tuesday.
Thanks everyone

We had a 2018 Transporter in the workshop recently with a tailgate that couldn't be opened. Guys tested the door actuator, founds this to be faulty so replaced. Once replaced the tailgate would then open randomly, could be a bump in the road, change of direction etc. Found the handle itself was sticking which had caused the previous door actuator to wear out from constantly being told to operate. Replaced handle and working as intended. Hope this helps.

Back