Tail lights and fog lights are not working

CharlieNeil

VIP Member
Hi All, I have a Nov 2016 T5.1. I am in the process of a panel van conversion to a camper van. My rear tail lights and fog lights are not working. I have checked bulbs they are fine, all fuses next to gear stick fine. I have a pop top fitted have checked all wiring along roof fine. I have rotating/sliding double passenger seat fitted have checked all connections disturbed while fitting seat are fine. I have done a ECU battery reset and still not working. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. Thanks in advance.

Check the common earth point.
it might be behind the light cluster on one side.

Hi, have you checked you have voltage at the plug. This needs to be done ideally by back probing not by disconnecting the light

Think I might need an auto electrical engineer. Think I've done all I can and still no rear lights and rear fogs.
Can anyone recommend one near Ormskirk Lancashire. Cheers

Have you definitely plugged the connectors back together under the passenger seat?

F57C15C9-D087-4827-B131-FAA4FB5B559B.jpeg

Have you definitely plugged the connectors back together under the passenger seat?

View attachment 186014
Yes. This is where I thought the solution might be, I have taken out the passenger seat twice now and checked all connections are tightly together twice. But still does not sort the problem. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: CJW
I think it may have happened when my grandson left the lights on and drained the battery? I recharged the battery but left it still connected to the van, could this be the problem?

I think it may have happened when my grandson left the lights on and drained the battery? I recharged the battery but left it still connected to the van, could this be the problem?
Unlikely if everything else is working.

Does the tailgate opening switch still work?
or the number plate light?

Ok does the number plate light on the barn doors still work?

I just checked the wiring diagram. Is the 5.1 wiring the same as the early T6? If so, fog lights and brakes / rear lights are all on the same connector under the passenger seat. If other parts of your rear end (sorry) are still working (which is why I asked the above question), I’d be having a third look at that connector. Is the connector the same as the one in my photo? If so, try popping both sides out of the frame, and connecting them together unsupported. If that fixes it, perhaps one side of the connector wasn’t seated properly in the support frame.

Very strange, 1 light is working!
I will check other bulb and get back to you. Thanks so much for the help I do appreciate it

Back