T6 Tailgate Roofrack - Does anyone have a rack that fits??!!

New to the forum guys, just took delivery of my T32 Highline 4Mo 204 DSG a couple of weeks ago and fitted the Rhino T5/T6 Aluminium Rack on Sunday. Unfortunately, having fitted the roller bar I realised that you can't put the roller anywhere near the Tailgate, let alone behind it, giving a loading angle of around 30 degrees at best. Spoken to Rhino today who advised me as follows; "You're right, it doesn't fit, but if you had barn doors it would be ok"!! Looking at a friends T5, the T6 Tailgate does look different at the top and seems to require more clearance above the roof line. Anyone got any experience with this, or have any thoughts on a solution or replacement that would do the job?? All help greatly appreciated. Also, as an additional "niggle" the short plastic bracket covers seem to be at least half an inch too short, anyone else noticed that??

IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3818.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you found a solution to this or an alternative roof system that fits better ?

Not yet!! After some considerable cajoling I got some money back from the seller (about 20%) and they have now updated their website to reflect the fact that it doesn't actually fit a T6 Tailgate. The Tailgate does open very high as you can see from the pics, the only thing that I think might work (apart from a very high rack which obviously has it's downsides too) would be a roller that you can slide in and out, even then you'd have to remember to stow it afterwards!!

Hi all, also new to the forum and need to add a rack to carry a ladder on my T6.Anyone else experienced this, as this is the rack I am considering. Have Rhino changed anything as they sell two versions of the rack ? Cheers.

I'm pretty sure Rhino did change things...but if they did, it still won't fit if you have a roof spoiler.
I mounted my rack onto my roof bars, this way I can please myself how far forward or back I want the rack. I have a tailgate, with spoiler and it opens fully.

20220508_124426.jpg

20220508_124448.jpg

20220508_124502.jpg

I have a tailgate with no spoiler but it’s the roller I would be most wanting to use to get ladders up top so shifting it forward would defeat the object of having the roller. I may as well go for rails and lift on from the side which may be a ball-ache.

With a low profile rack the roller has to sit further back to allow for tailgate to clear when opened as it rises upwards. I use rhinorack for my work in flooring trade carrying large 5m wide carpets on and have had both steel and aluminium ( steel sits higher but prefer aluminum looks nicer in my opinion) but always have had barndoor because of the tailgate problem

Yes, I like the aluminium one too, looks a lot neater. You would have thought that Rhino would have solved this 'issue' by increasing the stack height of the fittings for tailgate models with how many racks they sell.

Back