T6 Tailgate (conversion)

ChrisM1973

Hi all, I have a T6 barn door, in black and looking to do the Tailgate conversion. As far as I can work out, I will need:
- the tailgate (pref with a tinted window) - also black would be great
- hinges
- struts - as strong as possible as will be adding a bike mount
- handle
- lock/bottom attachment (the barn door has two, I guess the tailgate only needs one connection)
- surround/sealing
- new lights as the tailgate is a different shape (!)
- new bumper - also a different shape (!!) pref in black

So the big question is - anyone got any of the above? I've searched on ebay/gumtree etc for the past two months and they don't seem to come up that much. And when tailgates do come up they're mostly stripped with glass removed etc.
Thanks if anyone can point me in the direction of a uk, german or polish supplier or similar who can ship.

Hello Chris,

I've recently done this myself but need to finish off the wiring (will be hassling Pauly again in the new year). @Macoo done his van recently, too.

I managed to find a new tailgate locally on eBay; aside from a heated rear screen it was bare.
I bought a tailgate loom from Pauly, Vagnostics supplied the ballpin kit, Fish the gas struts, threshold and lights and the rest was from TPS - hinges, handle, third brake light and associated bolts.
You'll be able to reuse one of your strikers and the door seal doesn't need changing. I'm still sporting my barn door bumper (like the standard T5 did) but am keeping an eye on eBay for a tailgate version.

It might be worth running an eBay search on completed listings and messaging anyone that didnt sell theirs, as some might have grown bored of relisting unsold items, like this seller or this one closer to home. But I did find this one that's active.

I'm yet to write up my 'How To' with all the part numbers, mainly because I'm yet to get the rear handle wiring sorted out (stand by your phone, @Pauly, your Christmas break from me is almost over :grin bounce:) but feel free to ask away in the meantime.

Good luck with your project. Granted, a second-hand tailgate with all parts will be a lot better than a bare unit, but I think you'll be hard pushed to find one.

Best,
Adam

Adam! Thanks a million, that's a huge help. I thought it might be as much (ie: sourcing the individual parts via the internet) but good to hear from someone who has done it.
I have one question if that's ok - so are you saying that your new tailgate still fits the barn door bumper? I thought the new bumper (and lights) was needed. Happy to keep the old one if possible so great to hear if it fits, but not if there gaps etc? Thanks! Chris

.. are you saying that your new tailgate still fits the barn door bumper? I thought the new bumper (and lights) was needed. ...

Yes mate - the tailgate fits between the edges of the bumper but doesn’t look 100% - see pic.
You’ll need tailgate lights (presuming you transplant a T6 tailgate, which has angled lines, as opposed to a T5 tailgate) too as the barn-door lights are rounded and not angular like the tailgate panel.
I’ll upload a pic to show you.

Brilliant, thanks Adam, yes I realised the lights needed changing - wonder why VW made that decision - sees odd! Anyway, I took your advice and have ordered a T6 tailgate from Germany, so it'll go through a re-spray and then I'm good to go I hope. I'd be over the moon if you ahve any more info on the rest as I'll try and buy it all in one hit and then convert over one day. If you want to PM me your number I could call for some advice if easier than you typing it all out!!? And yes, thanks massively for the advice so far!

Here’s a picture I’ve found - see the difference in the angle? To some that would do their OCD in, and others it probably wouldn’t matter. Each to their own.

15343176-9A2E-43D9-9BBE-AAB183F29B90.jpeg

Ah yes, got it. I think I could live with that!! Thanks massively for the help and yes will follow the other thread you've made on this as it's gonna be my new homepage!

Hello Chris,

I've recently done this myself but need to finish off the wiring (will be hassling Pauly again in the new year). @Macoo done his van recently, too.

I managed to find a new tailgate locally on eBay; aside from a heated rear screen it was bare.
I bought a tailgate loom from Pauly, Vagnostics supplied the ballpin kit, Fish the gas struts, threshold and lights and the rest was from TPS - hinges, handle, third brake light and associated bolts.
You'll be able to reuse one of your strikers and the door seal doesn't need changing. I'm still sporting my barn door bumper (like the standard T5 did) but am keeping an eye on eBay for a tailgate version.

It might be worth running an eBay search on completed listings and messaging anyone that didnt sell theirs, as some might have grown bored of relisting unsold items, like this seller or this one closer to home. But I did find this one that's active.

I'm yet to write up my 'How To' with all the part numbers, mainly because I'm yet to get the rear handle wiring sorted out (stand by your phone, @Pauly, your Christmas break from me is almost over :grin bounce:) but feel free to ask away in the meantime.

Good luck with your project. Granted, a second-hand tailgate with all parts will be a lot better than a bare unit, but I think you'll be hard pushed to find one.

Best,
Adam
Hi Adam
I am currently carrying out the T6 tailgate conversion. Can you please help me with the wiring for the lights. I am using standard lights not LEDS. Thank you in advance.

Hi Adam
I am currently carrying out the T6 tailgate conversion. Can you please help me with the wiring for the lights. I am using standard lights not LEDS. Thank you in advance.

Hello KP. Assuming you’re asking because the plugs on the lights are different from barn-door tail lamps to tailgate taillamps, here’s what I have. The nearside taillight to be rewired in to tailgate connector plug (part 1J0973733) as follows:

1 grey / blue with black stripe.

2 fog - empty

3 black with white stripe.

4 Brown

5 green with black stripe.

6 black with red stripe

Offside taillight to be rewired in to tailgate plug (part 1J0973733) as follows

1 black with red stripe

2 green with black stripe.

3 black with green stripe*

4 Brown*

5 grey with white stripe

6 grey with red stripe

The asterisk indicates that I wrote down one thing but yet photographed a finished article as another. I don’t know. Trial and error it. Whats the worst that can happen.

It seemed that I could only find a VAG terminal removal tool (which looks like a miniature pitchfork) on eBay, so don’t waste your time in Halfords / ToolLine / ScrewFix / whathaveyou. Say goodbye to the feeling in your thumbs if you end up using a paperclip to free up the cables.

Hey Guys,

Im currently in the process of shaping my Barn Doors for Tailgate, I've pretty much got all the "Big" bits, Im ordering all the inners from TPS.

Is the stock tailgate loom plug and play or does it need additional wiring?
Does anyone already have the TPS parts list for the internals & bits.?
is the Tailgate bumper a direct fit, or does it need anything else behind?

Any info would be great! Thanks

If I could ask a question too? - could someone post a photo of the vagnostics conversion bracket bolted in place please? I’m trying to work out how much of my conversion I would temporarily have to strip back out to do this conversion

If I could ask a question too? - could someone post a photo of the vagnostics conversion bracket bolted in place please? I’m trying to work out how much of my conversion I would temporarily have to strip back out to do this conversion

image.jpg

@xpfloyd you'll also need to access the area inside where the tailgate hinge bolts to the van, which is often covered over internally by a fascia board of some sort.

image.jpg

Thanks for the quick response and photos @Ads_Essex ! I’ll compare with my camper and see where I’m at. This whole task seems daunting at the moment but I’m keen to give it a go I think

Hey Guys,

Im currently in the process of shaping my Barn Doors for Tailgate, I've pretty much got all the "Big" bits, Im ordering all the inners from TPS.

Is the stock tailgate loom plug and play or does it need additional wiring?
Does anyone already have the TPS parts list for the internals & bits.?
is the Tailgate bumper a direct fit, or does it need anything else behind?

Any info would be great! Thanks

Barn-door To Tailgate Conversion

Because I'm nice like that

Does £750 seem like a good price for a tailgate from a caravelle with all the inner parts, rear trim panel, etc?

I paid £60 for my tailgate, although had a tiny bit of damage. The internals seem to be around £300 form TPS. Most doors I've seen are around £300 bare, Had I not got such a good deal on the tailgate, I would have tried to find one complete.

Ads_Essesx thats an absolutely fantastic tutorial/guide.

I've got most of everything, Its just committing to doing it now!

Back