T6 Tailgate adjustment - one side sitting proud

Slav

Hi guys, first post / request for help on here. The tailgate on my new to me T6 doesent close as tightly on one side as the other. There is a slightly larger gap that will really get under my skin if I don’t get it sorted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ any advice on getting one side to pull in tighter please ?

Hi guys, first post / request for help on here. The tailgate on my new to me T6 doesent close as tightly on one side as the other. There is a slightly larger gap that will really get under my skin if I don’t get it sorted *♂️ any advice on getting one side to pull in tighter please ?
Do you mean there is a gap when you look at the gap, sideways on, between the body and the tailgate?
There are bump stops above the lights - check these are wound the same amount and aren’t broken.
Otherwise check the hinges and the panel they sit in for damage / deformation.

Edit: Title amended

I have checked the hinges which look unmoved, the dampers seem even and unmoved also … it’s as if the whole tailgate needs to move to the right In order to even up overall profile ..

it’s as if the whole tailgate needs to move to the right In order to even up overall profile ..
Oh, so it looks uneven when viewed rear on?
Can you see some bodywork on one side and none the other?
What’s the gap like between the tailgate and the tail-lamps?

Upload a few photos for better advice :thumbsup:

It think the pictures show a hinge must have moved .. the one with the gap is the right, the other the left

F551C93F-3B15-43CD-9768-0C0EFF449F5D.jpeg

1DD0E002-07F5-4767-870C-EC1CFB01C5D8.jpeg

Easy to adjust or a b@@ch ?

It think the pictures show a hinge must have moved .. the one with the gap is the right, the other the left

View attachment 167590

View attachment 167591

Easy to adjust or a b@@ch ?

Can you try and take some measurements of the hinges, to see if they are sitting out at differing lengths / are compressed one side but not fully closed the other?

I’d be looking at the hinge bolts, hinges, then the top panel section they sit on, and then the area of the tailgate panel they affix to.

Was the van manufactured with a tailgate or has it been converted from a barn-door version?

The black plates shown in this photo will be a likely indicator of a conversion

Thank you for your help …Will investigate the hinges, defo no sign of barn door to tailgate conversion.

Thread title says one side sitting proud, i would say its the opposite and its one side sitting tight, the proud side looks normal with a gap, the other side looks way to close

This may help : shows adjustment of rear door

Attachments

• T5_rear_doors_adjust.pdf
    357.9 KB · Views: 72
Back