T6 Sliding Window Leaking (Cassette issue) - Stick with VW or go non-oem?

NOAT

VIP Member
Hi All, I've got a '17 plate T6 204 with Twin Sliders with flush fitting sliding windows.
Drivers side rear sliding window has been leaking since I purchased it from Listers in June.
Various delays with Listers (incl. lost paper work?!), has meant that it's only recently gone back in to get sorted. Service desk chap has told me that it's the window 'cassette' that's faulty and they will need to replace the whole window / glass surround etc. . He then called back to ask if I wanted to get a VW replacement or an aftermarket window fitted (Explaining that if I chose the aftermarket option they'd replace both left and right windows so they matched). I thought at the time of call that I'd rather keep it all factory and go for the VW window. He's ordered the part and now tells me the factory have sent the wrong side (passenger side).. and that the drivers side isn't in stock and they don't have a delivery date.

So - wondering if you have experience with aftermarket windows - are these better than VW. Do they look the same / what are the differences (any photos)?
My inclination now is to go with aftermarket replacements - as I just want the van back..
- Note, It's still in warranty and Listers are covering costs...
Any feedback / recommendations / help would be great!
Cheers, Nick

In our experience, OEM windows leak. We fit aftermarket, generally set in, yes they dont look as nice a flush (subjective) but no problems with leaking. There are aftermarket flush out there but have heard stories with these leaking also.
Cheers
Ian

I used WD40 silicone sprayed and cleaned the inside were it came into contact with the seal and sprayed the seal itself. worked a treat for me

In our experience, OEM windows leak. We fit aftermarket, generally set in, yes they dont look as nice a flush (subjective) but no problems with leaking. There are aftermarket flush out there but have heard stories with these leaking also.
Cheers
Ian
Cheers Ian, VW got the OEM replacement window in - fitted and all good so far. I think if I have another leak, then it’ll be a switch to the aftermarket type… thanks for your comment and feedback / all appreciated!

ALL OEM sliding windows are prone to leaking BUT it's not the window seal it's almost always the front drain channel under the slide grove. The flat plastic part below the drain hole will not be bonded correctly to the upper part thus letting water run out inside the van.
If only the dealers understood that fact and re-bonded these parts together and added some sealer around the edges BEFORE they fitted replacements the problem would be solved. It is almost impossible to access the leaking parts when the window is in the van, I know from experience!
I've had three T5 and a T6 and all have had leaking OEM windows, I'm in the process of trying to cure the one in my current T6 sliding door.

ALL OEM sliding windows are prone to leaking BUT it's not the window seal it's almost always the front drain channel under the slide grove. The flat plastic part below the drain hole will not be bonded correctly to the upper part thus letting water run out inside the van.
If only the dealers understood that fact and re-bonded these parts together and added some sealer around the edges BEFORE they fitted replacements the problem would be solved. It is almost impossible to access the leaking parts when the window is in the van, I know from experience!
I've had three T5 and a T6 and all have had leaking OEM windows, I'm in the process of trying to cure the one in my current T6 sliding door.
As @rod_vw said.
My advice is DON‘T poke things down the round hole at the front end of the groove. It will separate the drain channel base as it is held together with a non setting adhesive. The area covered with adhesive is very narrow and the drain channel is very shallow. Sealing this is a real pain in the arse without blocking the drain. See separate discussion on the Forum.
There are a few videos on YouTube showing things being poked in this hole, don’t do it.

Cheers
Ian

What windows do you recommend?

I have just had my my kitchen side sliding window cassette changed and the top seal has already come away.

If you’ve got to the stage where there you want a non-opening window why not just spend an hour masking off and seal up the leaky slider with black silicone?
Way cheaper and quicker.

What windows do you recommend?

I have just had my my kitchen side sliding window cassette changed and the top seal has already come away.
depends on your budget, we use different types, Camperglass, Kira amongst others.

If you’ve got to the stage where there you want a non-opening window why not just spend an hour masking off and seal up the leaky slider with black silicone?
Way cheaper and quicker.
good idea, is it just round the opening glass, I've used loads of silicon so not afraid to get stuck in but haven't inspected anything that close. never had a drop come thru my 2009 T5 in 9 years so was shocked seeing puddles and stains once I started redoing the panels. suppose its because we never sit in the back. I assume its running down the glass and into the channel.

As @rod_vw said.
My advice is DON‘T poke things down the round hole at the front end of the groove. It will separate the drain channel base as it is held together with a non setting adhesive. The area covered with adhesive is very narrow and the drain channel is very shallow. Sealing this is a real pain in the arse without blocking the drain. See separate discussion on the Forum.
There are a few videos on YouTube showing things being poked in this hole, don’t do it.
Hi just adding to this thread as I came across it while looking for leaking kombi window fix...

This is exactly where my slider was leaking, I syringed through some soapy water to confirm it, in my case it was the plastic drain channel underneath the round hole at the front that had either not been stuck properly from the factory or maybe it had, but someone had poked the hole and separated the 2 parts. Easy fix just add some sikaflex and clamp them together to set.

Along with regular cleaning of the sliding seals and clearing the drain channels this has completely cured my water in the rear footwell problem.

Thanks @rod_vw and Dxx for your posts I agree how many genuine windows could have been saved following your tips !

Cheers

Back