T6 - Front End Collision Damage -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
T6 - Front end collision damage -

we saw this poor van on the back of a low-loader the other day. (16plate Highline PV)

It shows obvious front end collision damage - Hopefully no one was hurt when it happened.

The front airbags had all deployed indicating a fairly forceful front-on collision.

This interesting thing to note is how the front end dealt with the impact. you can see that most of the impact damage is actually above the front lower bumper cross member, so the grill, slam panel, rads, bonnet,wings and upper crumple zones all took a beating. looking at the wing/door gap its evident that the front engine bay has not collapsed back into the main passenger protection zone.

Remember: stay safe people and always wear you seatbelts!

20190311_104814.jpg 20190311_104819.jpg 20190311_104859(0).jpg 20190311_104900(0).jpg 20190311_104900.jpg

We may moan, but they do their job well under those circumstances. Good pics, too @Dellmassive.

Looking at the wing/front door gap that's quite a transference of energy, plus look at the slider too..

Airbags deploy (I think) at around 13mph, but this is dependendent upon angle of impact. It's been a while now since I worked in that field.

Last edited:
The front end crash test engaged all the crash structure hence no real visible damage to the doors, engaging the crash structure will carry the loads around the passenger cell and down into the sled runners and sills under the floor area. Looks like the driver of the van in the picture wasn't paying attention to the vehicle in front braking and when the T6 braked the dipped front end under-rode the raised back end (due to it braking) of the vehicle in front and missed all the crash structure thus the fenders took some of the loads and shunted back into the doors which shunted back into... you get what I mean.

I was thinking the same as @Fish
As long as the van isn't covered it wasn't fatal so there's an insurance company somewhere looking to recoup a payout!

Back