T6 Edition - Why No Spare Wheel?

dennismo

150 Kombi Edition - LV Sportline
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Does anyone know why the T6 Edition doesn't have a spare in the cage underneath? At first, I thought the dealer was fobbing me off when he said "Ah - the Edition doesn't have a spare"... but I've asked a few other Edition owners, and it seems to be true...

Other Kombi's seem to have a spare? Seems odd...

Not sure on your model but sometime they do it to lose weight, so keeping the payload the same as other models . Does yours have extras that weighs more than a standard Kombi of same load weight? Does this make sense? if you fit a spare it comes out of you load limit .

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s good old VW. They have called it “edition” to try and thrown off the scent that it is “limited”. So limited that it doesn’t even come with a spare! Penny pinching at its best; and they make you pay more for it.

I assumed if it's got factory 18" alloys, they don't do an 18" spare steel wheel, only 16" or 17" which they cannot use as a spare.
I'm sure the Genuine Sportline T6 has the same issue.

I assumed if it's got factory 18" alloys, they don't do an 18" spare steel wheel, only 16" or 17" which they cannot use as a spare.
I'm sure the Genuine Sportline T6 has the same issue.

I've got a sportline..(DSG not 4M)

18" alloys all round and a 16" steel spare underneath in cage.

Factory crappy scissor jack in the back.

I don't suppose you could fit an odd sized wheel on a 4-Mo even for a short distance?

I don't suppose you could fit an odd sized wheel on a 4-Mo even for a short distance?

Im not 100% on this one yet.

i need to do some more digging..

i had 4M on my T5.1 . . . .

im sure i had 4x alloys and a steel spare . . . . .

but i think they were all 17"...

different sized wheels on a 4M would cause the rear diff inner crown wheel to rotate . . . .

but thats no different from the standard front axle having an emergancy spare wheel of a smaller size, the inner diff crown gears will rotate in the fron gearbox ...

many cars out there have a "space saver" spare wheel that is much smaller including Audi. . . . . and the recomendation is low speed and just to a garage.

BUT . . . . .

i do remember that the T5.1 4M couldn't be towed.. . . . . every-time it was in a smash up or something it had to be loaded onto a flat bed...

so the jury is still out for me . . . . . . i need additional info to make the call

an interesting result from a google search - - - seems you could have a smaller wheel, but taller tyre. So same rolling diamerter.

This has come up before and no, VW will not pay the dealer to give you a larger spare wheel. Your spare is the smallest wheel that will fit over your front brakes. For MkV Jettas like yours and MkVI Golfs, that is a 15" wheel. JSWs have larger front brakes so they come with a 16" spare.

Even though the spare steel wheel is smaller than your alloy wheel, the tire is the same rolling diameter, and is therefore still a full-sized spare, not a donut.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I don't think I'd risk an odd size wheel then, I'll keep the little compressor thing for emergencies and I might as well take the 17" spare wheel off and keep it in the garage.

I've got a sportline..(DSG not 4M)

18" alloys all round and a 16" steel spare underneath in cage.

Factory crappy scissor jack in the back.

I take it the lower profile on the 18s and a higher profile on the 16" Steel, equate to the same rolling radius?

Does anyone know why the T6 Edition doesn't have a spare in the cage underneath? At first, I thought the dealer was fobbing me off when he said "Ah - the Edition doesn't have a spare"... but I've asked a few other Edition owners, and it seems to be true...

Other Kombi's seem to have a spare? Seems odd...
You can get the spare wheel carrier of ebay comes with the securing pins and the jack .
As for your spare wheel ...the standard wheels only fit on the carrier but they are ok to use till you are sorted out .
Good idea for a spare Cheap, is to go to a converters and ask if they have any spare wheels ...they usually have loads as people go for smarter alloys and leave the old wheels with them .

Back