DSG reliability?

jonbigland

Currently looking to buy a T6 and would welcome thoughts on the DSG gearbox , namely its reliability . I assume fuel economy may be affected from my experience of driving my Discovery sport but age and getting lazy I guess leads me down this path
It won't be a new van I guess around 30/40 thousand miles

JLR cars all have old style torque converter automatics, DSG is much more economical and faster changing. I love mine :thumbsup:

fuel economy is actually better on dsg apparently
in term of mileage, they don't seem to have problems
in term of age, we don't know yet...
they are more complex than manual. so require more service (oil at least)

there have been a couple of horror stories, but apparently sorted since

all in all it's a personal decision...

Currently looking to buy a T6 and would welcome thoughts on the DSG gearbox , namely its reliability . I assume fuel economy may be affected from my experience of driving my Discovery sport but age and getting lazy I guess leads me down this path
Hi Jon, I have had my 204 dsg kombi for 5 weeks, always had manual , I have driven bmw, Lexus, Merck’s, and jaguar cars, ford custom van, Vito van, Toyota van, Nissan van and ford ranger pick up, none of them compare to the vw kombi, it is brilliant, mpg is great , just done 400miles on m1 recently had averaged between 39-41 doing 70-80mes a hour, in town average 32-37 .will not go back to manual.

We bought a manual but each time it goes back to be fixed they give us a DSG and I wish I bought one, really smooth and much easier to drive than our manual 204, we are always changing gear on local roads.

Really pleased I held out for the DSG on our 204, so relaxing and smooth to drive. Should be a whole heap better when I finish the sound proofing as well.

This DSG box is awesome.... an absolute must if you’re lucky enough to have the choice.. you will not regret it

Reactions: .50
99% of the time they are great boxes, i can say this as mine is currently in the work shop having a new DSG/clutch pack/mechatronic/DMF @47k, so they do go wrong its just very rare (and very thankfully im not footing the entire bill cause it was rather large !)

Didnt work out to bad in the end VW and dealer covered majority of cost as i am out of warranty but ongoing issue so they played fair and didnt bend me over

Didnt work out to bad in the end VW and dealer covered majority of cost as i am out of warranty but ongoing issue so they played fair and didnt bend me over

Can i ask the symptoms please. I have been telling my garage there is an issue with my DSG for ages. It seems clutch related. Thanks

We’ve had 8 Discos the last 7 being autos. We also have a T5.1 & T6, both DSG. The DSGs are great, but a different beast to the conventional torque converter/auto box combo. The DSG is much more responsive & economical. I can get 40+mpg from my 204 4mot LWB conversion. I also use it for towing & launching a 2t boat no problem. The only thing it doesn’t like, is reversing the trailer.

Can't comment on reliability as only had my Kombi 150 DSG since the start of Oct, but the drive is super smooth. Gear selection is almost seamless and much better than the older style of auto box. Makes driving a pleasure ...

Can i ask the symptoms please. I have been telling my garage there is an issue with my DSG for ages. It seems clutch related. Thanks
After coasting my box would violently re-engage a year when you touched the brake pedal, it would make an awful banging sound and cause the whole vehicle to shake/shudder

Sounds bad that @Pauly but also sounds like your dealers are doing right by you which is always good to hear.

I've had mine for almost 2 years and done 15k with no issues. Not that many miles to be fair. I do find that there is a little bit of lag when reversing, particularly up a hill.

It happened very infrequently so dealer could never replicate it so it went in several times, had the new box fitted about a year ago now and been fine ever since

My DSG is about to turn 70k, and touch wood, no problems.

Well...I've just come across this old comment from myself, haha! I've been having problems with my DSG for the last few months. Now on 88k and as reported in another thread, all is not smooth.

After coasting my box would violently re-engage a year when you touched the brake pedal, it would make an awful banging sound and cause the whole vehicle to shake/shudder
do you have the coasting function activated ? if so thats what it happened to me once when that was on. Didn't like it so deactivated.

Back