T6 DSG - Manual mode - swap up and down direction on shifter?

maxtorque

Hi All,

I'd like to swap the DSG lever direction for the DSG manual shift! Currently it is pull back to shift down and push forwards to shift up, but i would like to swap it round to make 1) more intuitive as you tend to shift down when braking and up when accelerating and 2) the same as my other car as i tend to get into my T6 and shift the wrong way all the time......

Looks like there 7 wires to the DSG selector, none are twisted pairs so this is either hardwired switches or a LIN bus to the DSG controller. Anyone have the wiring pin-out for the selector? 2018 T6 DSG

If i can't do it with a simple pin change in the connector, i'll look at getting another selector and doing it as a pcb mod as it looks like the selector has a hall effect or mech switch pcb inside that detects which way the lever has been moved (before anyone gets too worried, i'm an electronics engineer by trade so this isnt' actually too hard :cool:

I'd also like to get a steering wheel with paddles, and i've heard that it is possible to swap in something from another VW and make it work with the T6's DSG?

Any info / help appreciated, thanks!

All VW DSG manual selectors have always been the wrong way round. It's been like that for nearly 20 years, so I'd guess if there was a simple adaptation, it would have been done and all over the internet by now.

Swapping the steering wheel for one with paddles is a simple enough mod. If you did that, I don't see any reason why you'd need to use the lever at all.

I did this on my 2003 BMW E39 535i Sport, not really sure why as I never ever used manual mode, It was just a case of swapping some wires around and buying a new gear lever surround.
Hopefully it'll be just as simple on the T6.

I must be so dull cos I like it the way it is. Up for up a gear, down for down a gear. Simples!
Me too, but have not driven another one before. Can imagine it being annoying if it’s opposite to what you’re used to. Means you have to think rather than just react.

As an example, I learnt to ride a bike in Germany many years ago, where the rear brake is on the right hand. When I came back to the UK it was not good, so I switch every bike I have to what I’m used to.

I learned to ride a bike in Germany too, pedal backwards to break. They weren’t affected by the rain…. Don’t know why they’re not on every bike

You watch any footage of race/rally cars with sequential gear shifters and they pull to change up and push to change down. If you weren't strapped into the seat, your body mass would be back under acceleration and forwards under braking, so it's intuitive to change gear that way.

I’ve got a van and find it intuitive the other way. :cool:

I normally only use it when I’m in seventh and want to go down.

The OE way is usually correct for the majority of people. However, I absolutely feel your pain and would prefer it the other way around. I navigate in a rally car with a sequential gearbox, and pulling backwards to go up a gear is the way my brain has been hardwired. I used to use the paddle shift in my Golf GTD for overtaking, but I never use manual mode in my T6 because it confuses the hell out of me.

Very interested to know if a simple code adjustment would change it.

Back