T6 Detachable Towbar brand??

amo1968red

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

After some assistance...is a long-shot, but thought I'd ask. Recently purchased my first van, and have found that it has a detachable towbar (and electrics)...but alas no towbar neck. I'm trying to determine the manufacturer (so that I can look for a replacement neck), but I don't see any identifiers on the connector. Image below...anyone recognise it? :rolleyes:

1649343340289.png

Can you pull the dust protector out of the slot that the towbar goes into, and post a picture of the protector please.

This might help.

Peter

Looks like my Westfalia detachable but mine hasn’t got the VW branding.20220407_160529.jpg

Last edited:
It would be worth checking that the detachable bit of the tow bar (the swan neck) is not already stored in the van somewhere as this would normally be supplied if the towbar mount is fitted. They can be hidden in all sorts of places depending on the model but normally with the wheel jack parts.

It would be worth checking that the detachable bit of the tow bar (the swan neck) is not already stored in the van somewhere as this would normally be supplied if the towbar mount is fitted. They can be hidden in all sorts of places depending on the model but normally with the wheel jack parts.
Yeah, good call. Was actually the first thing I did after I removed the dust cap...couldn't find it though. Am currently bidding for a neck on eBay...fingers crossed ;)

@amo1968red. FWIW, that looks to be the same model number as mine. I suspect that all the different versions fit in the socket but when I enquired Westfalia advised me that you shouldn't 'mix and match' them as they are tested, load rated and dedicated to a particular vehicle fitting kit - I was looking to use a different (longer) one that gave more clearance from the back of the van to open the tailgate with my bike rack but I solved the problem another way once Westfalia gave me the word as I got worried about the insurance implications of using something that wasn't tested and approved for the T6.
20220408_092339.jpg

@amo1968red. FWIW, that looks to be the same model number as mine. I suspect that all the different versions fit in the socket but when I enquired Westfalia advised me that you shouldn't 'mix and match' them as they are tested, load rated and dedicated to a particular vehicle fitting kit - I was looking to use a different (longer) one that gave more clearance from the back of the van to open the tailgate with my bike rack but I solved the problem another way once Westfalia gave me the word as I got worried about the insurance implications of using something that wasn't tested and approved for the T6.
View attachment 152165
Hey...appreciate the response, but not sure I follow. Are you saying that the 321546 is the right neck for a T6, or isn't?

Agreed mine is a westfalia and looks just like that. If I recall Westfalia are the brand that VW use.
Yeah, it looks like OEM stuff, must admit. Not bad to say I wasn't even aware it had a towbar fitted before this week!

Back