T6 Awnings

Keith1960

I need a suitable pull-out awning for my T6 (Fiamma type cartridge) as a newbie to all this, and having had fantastic answers to my first post on tent awnings, help please?

...another thing with theses rollout awnings is that, if you get one with an awning channel (e.g. F45s) they make attachment of a drive away awning a lot easier - just roll it out a couple of inches to attach the awning and then roll back in to apply a bit of tension.

Yes, you can buy them - prices seem to be around £450-£500 depending on colour, etc.. I would also get the tie down kit to give a bit more stability and avoid damage when the wind gets up.

Mine was supplied with the van so my convertors did it for me, thus I can't comment on difficulty level. You need to drill through the bodywork for the brackets so depends on your DIY skills whether you'd want to try it yourself. Brackets fit neatly with the bolt through bit beneath the pop top though.

I'm interested in this too. Can anyone post some photos of their awning setup?
Short on photos of awning deployed - this is the best I have. If no one beats me too it, I'll be using the van again this coming weekend and will take some photos of the brackets, etc..

IMG_1951.jpg

...also found this to give you an idea of what its like from inside the van when deployed

IMG_2211.jpg

I've not had a chance to look at any awnings yet but getting to the point now in my conversion when I'm ready to. It was the fiamma type bolt on ones I had been thinking about but not investigated it. That does look good. whats the thing winding around the poles?

I've not had a chance to look at any awnings yet but getting to the point now in my conversion when I'm ready to. It was the fiamma type bolt on ones I had been thinking about but not investigated it. That does look good. whats the thing winding around the poles?
Jo's led rope lights - it's a girl thing - I hate them!!

@Keith1960 sorry for hijacking your thread! Hopefully what I'm asking is helpful to you too

Do you guys find you miss the sides at times or is just a roof sufficient in use?

We don't use ours a lot but when we do it's either as a sun shade or for keeping off rain; in those roles it works very well indeed.
Never needed sides (had our last Cali three years, this one for just over one).

We don't use ours a lot but when we do it's either as a sun shade or for keeping off rain; in those roles it works very well indeed.
Never needed sides (had our last Cali three years, this one for just over one).
Sounds perfect. I was thinking ability to open the slider when it's raining and also a bit of shade in the sun would be my main uses and wanted to avoid faffing about with canopies that detached from the van and had to be packed away etc

Sounds perfect. I was thinking ability to open the slider when it's raining and also a bit of shade in the sun would be my main uses and wanted to avoid faffing about with canopies that detached from the van and had to be packed away etc
Yep they're very easy to use - just make sure the front leg is high enough to clear the front door (drivers door for us, might be passenger door for you) and that they have enough angle to drain off ay rain. And they don't like high winds.
Otherwise very useful indeed; easy to wind in and out and fairly sturdy too.

Excuse the hijack, but I'm also considering an awning on my T6.

Can anyone comment on whether or not there is any wind noise generated from an awning when travelling. (Stowed away of course!! ) :rolleyes: :D

I saved pennies a few years ago by buying standard (square section) roof bars for my car when I had the option of oval section bars. Boy did I ever regret that saving as they howled like anything at motorway speeds.

I'd hate to fit an awning with similar consequences. Whats your experiences of noise with particular models please guys

Can anyone comment on whether or not there is any wind noise generated from an awning when travelling. (Stowed away of course!! ) :rolleyes: :D

I saved pennies a few years ago by buying standard (square section) roof bars for my car when I had the option of oval section bars. Boy did I ever regret that saving as they howled like anything at motorway speeds.

I'd hate to fit an awning with similar consequences. Whats your experiences of noise with particular models please guys
I don't notice any wind noise from mine but I don't really have anything to compare to as I have had it installed from day one.

Yes I notice some wind noise from it, but it's only slight, certainly not enough to be an issue. I notice it more because the T6 is so much quieter than my T5

quick question about the bracket guys - are the bolts held on with rivnuts or do you have to gain access to the inside of the van ?17745_DetailEnlarge__29533.1420888434.1280.1280.jpg

Back