T6.1 Rear bumper reflector removal ?

Paul F

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, Has anyone removed / replaced the rear bumper reflectors on a T6.1?
I've looked underneath but has a tray cover so was wondering it there is a nack to getting them off?
Is is a case of just pulling away and snapping the tabs on them? I have replacements so not too fussed if destruction is the only way.
Looked on YouTube and couldn't find anything for mine.
Many thanks

Yup.
It’s harder than a front bumper to remove & yes the reflectors clip from behind so it does really need to come off I’d say, but I was swapping my rear bumper & a reflector anyway due to damage
IMG_3879.jpeg

You can see the red clips you have to compress on this one & the ‘prong’ that is the front end of the reflector down the side of the bumper (this is the N/S)
IMG_3869.jpeg

Although thinking about it if you don’t mind trashing the existing reflector breaking/cutting it where the compressible clips are it would come off.
I’m sure the expanding clips would push through & drop out/down

Thanks BikerPa. It's good to see the photos from the underneath. I may have a look at getting the covers under the bumper off and squeeze the lugs from underneath. Thanks for the reply

Right.
Had a go myself and loosened the trim in the tray under the bumper so I could get my fat fingers in. There are 3 lugs on the reflector and the first 2 you only need to push one side in and they pop out. I eased a trim tool under to move away from the bumper and had to snap the last one due to the old knuckles bleeding. Then spent 10 minutes clearing out all the muck and mud that was behind the old reflector and located the new smoked one, 3 presses and 3 clicks later... jobs a good un.
Same process for the other side and that's the back end all smoked out.

VW Manchester next week for SOS button under Warranty and front brakes and fluid.
November off to Dav-Tec for ECU and DSG remap ( got the early ECU so should be good to go) also getting reversing camera installed and the top 12v socket to be live with the ignition, not always on.

Have a good one

Paul

20231021_124624.jpg20231021_124638.jpg20231021_124651.jpg20231021_124616.jpg20231021_125706.jpg

Hi, not wanting to p&ss on your bonfire, but even though I must admit they look good your van would fail an mot as rear reflectors are a legal requirement and the police won't be impressed either :unsure:

Ah sorry I didn't realise yours was a barn door van, the reflectors are different shape:whistle:

Are they sprayed or bought that way?

Hi, not wanting to p&ss on your bonfire, but even though I must admit they look good your van would fail an mot as rear reflectors are a legal requirement and the police won't be impressed either :unsure:
Hi Pedro200001
Yeah get that. I think they are reflectors, you can see the 'honeycomb' effect in then, just the outside plastic is smoked rather than the red previous. I'll get the Mrs to follow me one evening or ask the local garage to have a look for me.

Ah sorry I didn't realise yours was a barn door van, the reflectors are different shape:whistle:
Lol, no worries. Your pictures were a help anyway as initially I was going to try and prise off from the outside.... probably would have taken the bumper off at the same time..

Are they sprayed or bought that way?
These ones are bought Smoked. There are some on ebay and Amazon I think.
I also saw black 'blanks' you could get, but not too sure why and as Pedro200001 mentioned, not the best move legally.
I did read that some people put tinting film on the reflectors as well then peal off before an MOT, but again I am unsure if this option would reduce the reflection effects?

Back