T6.1 Rattle from passenger side of dashboard

fidav

T6 Pro
I have something rolling about inside my dashboard at the passenger side. I’ve checked in the air vent and can’t see anything. I’ve removed the glove box and Bluetooth unit to look down behind there and can’t see anything. I’ve checked the gap between the window and the dash and nothing in there either.
it sounds like it’s coming from under the air vent and as though it’s something metal

Does anyone have any other suggestions of where to or how to look
elsewhere ?

feel I’m at the point of either living with it or having to have someone rip the whole dash off to find it !

I had a rattle where you describe. Spent hours looking for it. Turned out it was a screw in the overhead courtesy light had fallen out.

I had a F annoying rattle last week and it was the Transporter HQ rubber windscreen / dash gap filler had come lose. Gave it a push and the rattle gone!

Have you emptied the van of all your possessions and been for a drive? Door bins, dash bins everything - sounds in vehicles can bounce around a lot and might not emanate from where they appear to be coming from! I read a post about a Porsche owner pulling the whole dash out looking for a rattle which turned out to be the rearview mirror / interior light unit!

I had a F annoying rattle last week and it was the Transporter HQ rubber windscreen / dash gap filler had come lose. Gave it a push and the rattle gone!

Have you emptied the van of all your possessions and been for a drive? Door bins, dash bins everything - sounds in vehicles can bounce around a lot and might not emanate from where they appear to be coming from! I read a post about a Porsche owner pulling the whole dash out looking for a rattle which turned out to be the rearview mirror / interior light unit!
I heard about an Audi driver who had a strange ticking noise and corresponding green flashing light on his dashboard, it turned out that he's accidentally knocked one of the stalks on the steering column, one he's never used before, and it was something called an indicator!

Maybe I’ve described it wrong, the noise only happened when I go round corners it over bumps and it’s definitely the sound of something being moved due to the motion.

Have you looked under the bonnet around the strut top area? There is a trim at the bottom of the windscreen with lots of vent slots to peer through. It is quite a big void below the windscreen - if a tool has been left in there it has plenty of room to roll around!

After you figure out what it is, get yourself a dash rubber to make sure nothing can fall down the gap.

Also useful for securing car park tickets :thumbsup:

I had a stone chip repair last week and the assembled glass technicians were admiring my rubber trim between the glass and dash.

They said detritus can cause major difficulties when they have to remove a screen with a cheese wire. They said transits and transporters are the worse!

Reactions: CAB
Hi, I too have a very annoying rattle - sounds like something rolling about in the overhead light panel. Nearly drove me mad asking my wife to try and pin point it as we drove - she wouldn't notice if I used every storage space in the van to carry loose marbles!

Today I found taping the overhead light unit definitely causes something to bounce about up there, but goodness knows how you remove this thing.

IMG_20210901_200909.jpg

I only collected the van just over a week ago - the conversion job was fantastic.

IMG_20210825_142522.jpg

Any help on how to remove something from the overhead light unit would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Solved it (with advice from Dave at CamperKraft - thanks)

The lens can be removed. It is clipped in, and you can carefully prise it out along the edge (shown here with the red dotted line.)
I used an old credit card - strong enough but doesn't scratch.
Once this is out you can see two deep screw holes - at the top of these there is a torx (sorry not sure what you ccall these) screws.
Remove these. and the light unit drops out.
This leaves two small holes you can just about get a finger through.
I removed the offending screw with a device which is a magnet on the end of a telescopic antenna. Got it for Christmas about 30 years ago, and never found a use for it until now.

Anyway, hope this is helpful.
Andrew

light_unit.png

Back