T6.1 LED headlight possible issue

Steve Hales

T6 Guru
I have a 2020 T6.1 with factory LED headlights. Amazing lights but I’ve noticed on both lights there seems to be damage to the front clear plastic/other material (see attached photos.
I first thought it maybe a stone chip but it is on both lights in the same place and when the lights are on it’s right where the main beam passes though.
Maybe a coincidence but has anyone else seen this before?

74668ADE-B7D1-4566-A11D-E3AB7AA751FB.jpeg

2E53C48E-EE99-404D-83E6-1F0324F7C9AF.jpeg

A135A118-CDD6-48A0-AB96-CAB1B6EDB0AC.jpeg

Perhaps your homing beacons are so bright the plastic has finally succumbed to the barrage of suicidal insects ?

On a more serious note what does the plastic feel like over the affected area, is it still smooth to the touch ?
Do you think the marks are on the inside or outside or within the depth of the plastic ?

@Steve Hales can you confirm the pattern of your low beam vs. high beam?
Another words, do your outer lenses project bottom half of the beam cone only, thus low beam?
And high beam is projected by the inner lenses only?
Maybe some photos with your lights on?

Reactions: mmi
On the Golf GTI Forum, there has been talk about Mk8 LED headlight lenses cracking on the inside recently. Someone there mentioned that they'd seen it on the newish Tiguan as well.

Last edited:
On a more serious note what does the plastic feel like over the affected area, is it still smooth to the touch ?
Do you think the marks are on the inside or outside or within the depth of the plastic ?
I can feel the imperfection so all the way though.

@Steve Hales can you confirm the pattern of your low beam vs. high beam?
Another words, do your outer lenses project bottom half of the beam cone only, thus low beam?
And high beam is projected by the inner lenses only?
Maybe some photos with your lights on?
It’s on the normal low beam, the damage is on the exact point where the light meets the lens.
It’s not like I do much driving at night so they haven’t been on that much.

01A17212-93D3-461E-9BC5-42661A10B330.jpeg

But when you switch to high beam now does the outer lens change its beam pattern in any way?

Reactions: mmi
Van in today for DSG oil change so I mentioned the issue and they also haven’t seen this before. The master tech has passed it up the chain in VW for more info.
Will post outcome when I hear back.

Back