T6.1 Interior lights out - not fixed with fuse nor battery reset.

Luke Whitts

VIP Member
Hi All,

With the thoughts of exploring the idea of putting some additional LED lights in the load bay of my 70 plate T6.1 Kombi I stuck a multi meter into the detached plug of the original rear LED ceiling light. I successful read the voltage, and then tried to get the current. I've now done some googling (that should have been preemptive) and understand this is a bad idea and not how you work out the current flow in a parallel circuit. Anyway, when I stuck the multimeter into the plug the forward ceiling light flickered and then went out. Current situation is that I can power up both ceiling lights by the button in the headlining in the front, but neither light when the doors or tailgate is opened. The reading/map lights in the front by the buttons on the ceiling still work when the doors are opened as normal.

So far I've tried the following:
  • Bought VIP membership and checked any fuse I think should be relevant.
  • Taken the negative feed off the battery for a couple of minutes and then reattached - which popped up all sorts of errors on the dash, most of which were sorted by turning the wheel to full lock both ways, and the final (stop start failure) solved by letting it sit for a while
So I'm back to stage one, the scary dash warnings are gone, but I still can't get the rear ceiling lights working on the door opening.
Does anyone know what I can do about this?
Thanks!

Back