T6.1 DSG Failure?

soxley

VIP Member
So we collected out new (used) T6.1 Kombi last night. A VW Approved 199PS DSG - very high-spec with lots of options ticked (double powered sliders, all of the ‘assists’, Discover Pro). It’s 18mths old and slightly high mileage at 27k but reflected in the price - so we were happy bunnies.

2hrs after pick-up the dashboard lights up like a xmas tree of warning lights, ending with ‘Gearbox Failure’ and no drive. Recovery called, and after an eventful evening it’s now on my driveway awaiting pickup to go back to the dealer.

The AA chap (a hero BTW) reckoned it’s a DSG MCU failure as he couldn’t get a response from it. Loads of other error codes popping up too. For a while it was stuck in P (with P flashing), eventually we got it into D but it wouldn’t engage any gears.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody?

The vehicle has 18mths balance of VW warranty left - so fixing it is covered. But obviously my confidence in the vehicle has been massively dented. Keen to find out what the dealer has to say about all this when I call them to tell the the van is on the way back to them on a flatbed less than 24hrs after collection!

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

@soxley Sorry to hear that, I bet you're gutted.

My DSG failed but that was due to hitting debris on the motorway, it ditched its oil and destroyed itself within seconds, an insurance job. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting 6.1 DSG failures so hopefully you've just been very unlucky. With the exception of my mishap I've had 18 months of driving (25k kilometres) without any other DSG issues.

As much as its painful with your new purchase, i guess its better happening now, plenty f warranty left and your dealer should be very supportive .....

@soxley Sorry to hear that, I bet you're gutted.

My DSG failed but that was due to hitting debris on the motorway, it ditched its oil and destroyed itself within seconds, an insurance job. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting 6.1 DSG failures so hopefully you've just been very unlucky. With the exception of my mishap I've had 18 months of driving (25k kilometres) without any other DSG issues.

As much as its painful with your new purchase, i guess its better happening now, plenty f warranty left and your dealer should be very supportive .....
Thanks for your encouraging response. It's just the kind of balanced view I need right now.

Thanks for your encouraging response. It's just the kind of balanced view I need right now.
This is the 4th vehicle i have had with a DSG box (inc the Audi version). Yours is the first I can remember reading about a failure.
I believe you have been very very unfortunate. I can understand how you are feeling.
I guess you have 2 options, let the van be fixed under warranty and keep it, or reject the van and begin a search for another.

As a point if the dealer fixes the DSG box under warranty then it may be worth thinking about asking to make a contribution to the cost. If not the new parts will share the same remaining 18months warranty. If you make a small contribution then the new parts will have a 3 year warranty.

Sorry to sound pessimistic….but the motor trade is known for passing on problematic vehicles…firstly I’d like to see the full service history and try to understand why no faults where shown prior to purchase….2 hrs driving would not IMO cause your issues…
To except the repairs would stop you rejecting the vehicle and if other problems came to light your stuck with the van ….id reject the vehicle and avoid that dealer…..sorry for your troubles :(

Sorry to hear of the hassle you’ve had. Unfortunately, I would lose all confidence in the van and I would be inclined to reject it. Others have given very good advice on what to do if you keep it. I really hope this gets sorted to your satisfaction

Rejecting was my initial instinct. But it's coloured by the fact we've now sold our other vehicle and have a Cornwall trip planned for just over a weeks time!

Good points on viewing the service history etc. We discussed it verbally but didn't see it directly, we were told it is all electronic now so no service book was handed over. Also good points on our position to reject if problems persist. I guess we have a very limited window to reject now.

The dealer is VW Van Centre Birmingham - just in case any others have experiences to share.

Rejecting was my initial instinct. But it's coloured by the fact we've now sold our other vehicle and have a Cornwall trip planned for just over a weeks time!

Good points on viewing the service history etc. We discussed it verbally but didn't see it directly, we were told it is all electronic now so no service book was handed over. Also good points on our position to reject if problems persist. I guess we have a very limited window to reject now.

The dealer is VW Van Centre Birmingham - just in case any others have experiences to share.
Reject it and hire a van for the trip to Cornwall is an option. Probably the one I would take.

I’ve dealt with Liverpool van centre…excellent and they also hire vans….beat me too it :)

ps… buying ex demo is always a good buy

IMO no rush. Wait and see what level of support the dealer offers / provides then make a decision. If you've invested a lot of time and effort in finding a van that ticks all the boxes for you, and they don't come along too often, the the disappointment of the DSG failure could be worth it.

It took VW a few weeks to get a new DSG for my van (plus another 6 weeks for some other parts!!) so you might end up hiring something. Interesting to see if the dealers will help you with a replacement vehicle.

IMO no rush. Wait and see what level of support the dealer offers / provides then make a decision. If you've invested a lot of time and effort in finding a van that ticks all the boxes for you, and they don't come along too often, the the disappointment of the DSG failure could be worth it.

It took VW a few weeks to get a new DSG for my van (plus another 6 weeks for some other parts!!) so you might end up hiring something. Interesting to see if the dealers will help you with a replacement vehicle.
There is a rush in so fact as there is a time limit if you want to reject the vehicle.

The vehicle has 18mths balance of VW warranty left - so fixing it is covered. But obviously my confidence in the vehicle has been massively dented.
If a component fails and is replaced you shouldn’t be worried about the van.
I be more concerned about the dealer if they have covered up a fault before sale but that’s speculative until proven.
I bought a 2 year old van privately, I gave it the once over for the obvious but I knew it still had 3 years VW warranty.

Thanks for all the comments. Van has just been put on the flat-bed and back off to the dealer.

We spoke to the dealer and agreed to see what they find on Monday - then we'll make a decision. They've said all the right things and promised to look after us - but we have made it clear we are keeping rejection open as an option. VW should cover a replacement vehicle until it's fixed under warranty - but there aren't many Kombi DSGs floating around in hire stock (this is where the dealer has an opportunity to prove their value).

I'm thinking it may be the result a simple error during the pre-collection inspection. I've seen it before = e.g a loose connection or plug that works its way free and then leads to a bunch of failures. Of course what damage that may have done remains to be seen. The good news is all the errors are still showing, and the vehicle is stuck in P again - so at least there's no chance of "It's working now" or "we can't replicate the fault".

For anybody interested, the display and dash show errors for virtually every system and all warning indicators flashing away happily. So clearly something fundamental.

I'll update on Monday with more news. Thanks again all for helping keep my sane and level-headed!

Thanks for all the comments. Van has just been put on the flat-bed and back off to the dealer.

We spoke to the dealer and agreed to see what they find on Monday - then we'll make a decision. They've said all the right things and promised to look after us - but we have made it clear we are keeping rejection open as an option. VW should cover a replacement vehicle until it's fixed under warranty - but there aren't many Kombi DSGs floating around in hire stock (this is where the dealer has an opportunity to prove their value).

I'm thinking it may be the result a simple error during the pre-collection inspection. I've seen it before = e.g a loose connection or plug that works its way free and then leads to a bunch of failures. Of course what damage that may have done remains to be seen. The good news is all the errors are still showing, and the vehicle is stuck in P again - so at least there's no chance of "It's working now" or "we can't replicate the fault".

For anybody interested, the display and dash show errors for virtually every system and all warning indicators flashing away happily. So clearly something fundamental.

I'll update on Monday with more news. Thanks again all for helping keep my sane and level-headed!
Hope it’s sorted to your satisfaction whatever the outcome is.

Keep an open mind and see what they say, could be something simple could be something serious but will be interested to see what they say once they have inspected it

For those of you on the edge of your seats waiting for an update on this... :)

After some stroppy phone calls to VW and to Swansway Birmingham (no comms since recovery drop-off on Saturday) they have finally decided the issue was a result of an earth fault - which at least feels consistent with other experiences I’ve read about. They are taking the van on an extended test drive tomorrow to confirm all is well.

Hopefully we’ll get the van back soon, and if there’s another failure it will go back to a different service centre (Swansway Birmingham have left me with very little confidence).

The saga continues…

The DSG box is normally bullet proof. We had a Vw Eos dsg back in 2012 and sold it to a neighbour. It’s still going strong. I’m sure it’s something silly so bear with the main dealer but let me know if I’m wrong.
BJ

Van due back tomorrow. Diagnosis was an earth strap not fixed down correctly - which sounds viable. They’ve had it on a couple of long test drives and see no further issues.

Looking forward to getting it back. Have certainly learned at lot in the process!

All the comments have helped enormously.

Was a bit shocked and surprised to read this post initially. I did a lot of research on DSG before i got one myself. Glad to hear it was nothing major and you're getting it back.

Back