T6.1 DPF question

lightning

T6 Pro
lf l buy a new T6.1 and use it for short journeys all day (each journey is usually around 5 miles or less) l going to have DPF issues?
At each customer l spend generally 30-60 minutes so when l get back in the van the engine will have cooled down somewhat.

l read on one van site that modern diesel vans were "not suitable for short journeys" which seems absurd.

The van will get used on the motorway, but only from time to time. l guess my problem would be short journeys with extended stops, rather than (say) a delivery driver where each stop is only a minute or so.

ln the Winter my last van, a 2008 Transit Connect TDCi, the engine would often never fully warm up.

As my first job might only be 2 miles from home.
What do you think? Anybody use their van in the way l do and can comment?

lf l buy a new T6.1 and use it for short journeys all day (each journey is usually around 5 miles or less) l going to have DPF issues?
At each customer l spend generally 30-60 minutes so when l get back in the van the engine will have cooled down somewhat.

l read on one van site that modern diesel vans were "not suitable for short journeys" which seems absurd.

The van will get used on the motorway, but only from time to time. l guess my problem would be short journeys with extended stops, rather than (say) a delivery driver where each stop is only a minute or so.

ln the Winter my last van, a 2008 Transit Connect TDCi, the engine would often never fully warm up.

Going back to a time when dealers never pushed Diesel engines like they do today on customers ….it was said if you do short trips and less than 16k miles a year don’t buy a diesel….in your case I’d buy petrol…had an old 406 diesel and short journeys really knackered it ….on a plus side a petrol engine warms up quicker….with short trip you’ll never get a proper regen and store up other problems long term :)

Edit .. seems I could be out of touch …Transporters ( new ) only come as diesel… that’s a shame…maybe electric could be your answer.. or dare I say jump ship :eek:

Last edited:
There is an interesting thread going on fuel additives. My advice for short journeys is a quality fuel like shell V power or look at fuel additives that boost cetane rating and burn cleaner. V power is circa 15p per litre more than normal diesel whereas additive is about 3p per litre. I’m just starting to use Millers diesel additive.

I would also give it a good motorway blast every couple of weeks to get it hot.

None of this is scientific just my own personal approach based on reading lots of opinions and researching products.

I don't see any modern diesel van being suitable for your particular journey type, I'd look at manufacturers who offer a petrol van.
If you buy a diesel then take it for a half hour motorway blast every couple of weeks to get the dpf to regenerate you might as well spend that fuel money on petrol instead and save your time.

I think you will have DPF issues. The engine will just not get hot enough to trigger a regen.

Pete
I think you are right it will cause problems but not sure you have the cause / effect correct. Regens are triggered by soot content in the DPF. Short journeys cause more soot, so short journeys will cause more regens.

Ultimately, lots of short journeys cause soot build up in the DPF, EGR and associated pipework that cannot be burnt off by a regen and cause problems requiring manual intervention.

Hmmm this has put a spanner in the works somewhat.
I have looked at the electric version but the range is pretty poor and l was planning to use the Transporter to take my boat on holiday, plus go on mountain biking days out.

Also someone else on this forum has posted that the electric version is "shocking" (although l am waiting for them
to back up their statement)

Will a motorway trip every couple of weeks clear out the DPF?

I do journeys similar to yours and just accept its not ideal for the engine, hence I use shell v power (soon to be normal fuel and millers additive). There are lots of people around less informed and just use them as a family car who will be shocked when they clog up and go into limp home mode

Your vehicle choice will always tend to be a compromise. Carry capacity / total flexibility / lifestyle Vs normal petrol car and a trailer.

Just weigh up the options / risks remembering what you see on the internet is probably a biased view - how many of us post about perfect unproblematic running?

I’m not so convinced it would be an issue, our van is the school run machine every morning and every afternoon plus a dog walk each day plus anymore running around my wife does, it very rarely leaves the city during the week and all journeys are 4-6 miles
I guess once or twice a month we will go somewhere that involves a decent drive and would allow a regen and never had a issue, never seen the dpf light or anything to cause concern

I’m not saying you should get one but trying to offer a balanced view
Something I have thought about it the past is an app that monitors the dpf/ash level and think it allows you to instigate a regen, called something like VAG DPF, not explored it properly but does open some options to monitor and control and act before potential problems ?

Firstly, shorter journeys create more soot, that I agree with.
However, just get a Carista so you know what your soot levels are.
The new software regens much more readily. Ie, starts before engine is fully hot and below 1/4 tank, and 5 miles is enough to start the process and it will carry on next journey. Just be aware, like you are of your fuel level, etc
On the plus side, you won’t have any egr issues as it’s not open most of the time. Lol

That's better news, l thought my VW Transporter dreams were shattered for a minute there.

Few vans come with a petrol engine option.
l didn't fancy a Transit Connect, not that they are a bad van, but it's no VW.

Unburnt fuel causes soot regardless of the exhaust temperature.
Driving a cold Diesel engine hard is going to result in additional soot, don’t boot the accelerator on a cold engine and it should reduce the soot.

l notice that one option on the T6.1 diesel is "manual DPF regeneration while parked"

What is this? Will this solve the problem of only using the van for short journeys?

Back