T6.1 brake issues

Just been told my Shuttle has passed its MOT today. That's the good news. The bad news was that the rear pads are apparently 30% worn and the rear discs are corroded. I got the rear pads renewed only 18 months ago and due to the lockdowns etc have only covered a little under 3000 miles since ! Can this really be true ? In the video they sent its obvious the used a pad thickness gauge without removing ing the wheels. What do other members think ? Disc corrosion in the past on cars I've had was partly cured by
frequent applications of the brakes. If the pads are 30% worn then they're not going to last much longer at this rate. By the way the garage wanted to change the rear discs for about £420 - genuine VW parts or £370 other aftermarket parts !!!

I would have thought disc corrosion isnt caused by application of brakes. More likely the discs will corrode when the van is just sat.

Just been told my Shuttle has passed its MOT today. That's the good news. The bad news was that the rear pads are apparently 30% worn and the rear discs are corroded. I got the rear pads renewed only 18 months ago and due to the lockdowns etc have only covered a little under 3000 miles since ! Can this really be true ? In the video they sent its obvious the used a pad thickness gauge without removing ing the wheels. What do other members think ? Disc corrosion in the past on cars I've had was partly cured by
frequent applications of the brakes. If the pads are 30% worn then they're not going to last much longer at this rate. By the way the garage wanted to change the rear discs for about £420 - genuine VW parts or £370 other aftermarket parts !!!
I never have an mot carried out by anyone that does repairs then you know they are not just looking for work.

The bad news was that the rear pads are apparently 30% worn and the rear discs are corroded. I got the rear pads renewed only 18 months ago and due to the lockdowns etc have only covered a little under 3000 miles since ! Can this really be true ?
Highly unlikely. More likely they saw you as a cash cow. I wouldn't use them again.

Had both the front/rear discs and pads changed at 50k miles I noticed the rear pads were slightly more worn than front... but I thought 50k seems about right?

Back