T6.1 13 pin wiring kits

steve8359

Hi, just purchased 2022 t6.1 converted to camper. There seems a huge range of (not van preped) 13 pin wiring kits, any advice regarding manufacturers, price, ease of fitment etc. In other vehicles (7 pin) have just used relays and spliced into the tail light wiring again have members done this with a t6.1
Many thanks

Hi, just purchased 2022 t6.1 converted to camper. There seems a huge range of (not van preped) 13 pin wiring kits, any advice regarding manufacturers, price, ease of fitment etc. In other vehicles (7 pin) have just used relays and spliced into the tail light wiring again have members done this with a t6.1
Many thanks
I bought a pfjones, but just cant connect to bcm's pay the money and get it fitted or do what i should have done or use 7 way relay and diy it

Many thanks
If you search "13 pin kit" there are a few threads which mention the various kits available. Obviously VW make one and this is the best fitting in terms of connectors and integration. However, PFJones and Westfalia are popular kits which many people have used successfully. There are others too.

Do not just splice into the wiring for the rear lights! The proper kits connect to the BCM (body control module) for a reason. Many systems operate differently when a "trailer" plug is connected. Without this, at the very least you'll have to turn off the parking sensors every time you reverse. You are likely to mess up the bulb failure warning system too if the current changes.
It's also a 2022 van and deserves better!!

Access is probably the biggest issue when installing. The BCM wires are particularly fiddly but far from impossible. It will likely need coding with VCDS too but if you know someone with the equipment it's simple enough.

I fitted a Westfalia 7 pin kit to my T6 but really wish I'd fitted a 13 pin kit for the added functionality and future proofing. The 12v permanent and ignition switched feed at the very least is useful.
Even with a rear view camera, our horsebox is very difficult to position in the dark. I'm currently wiring up some small LED lights to illuminate the ground around the 'box at night to aid positioning. It's going to require a creative solution though as the 7 pin wiring has no reversing light feed either...

Back