T5 to T6.1 headlight comparison.

NoHurryHarry

VIP Member
Hi I'm sorry if this has been done to death but VW might have changed the headlights since a lot of the posts on this topic, you live in hope :). We have an 06 T5 LWB panel van with standard factory supplied headlights. If we order a new T6.1 with standard headlights, are we going to notice that the headlights are actually worse? Thanks.

Last edited:
I would say so.
Basically T6 and T6.1 non LED headlamps are extremely poor.

Hi, I have A T6.1 with standard headlamps (for now) and I must say they are better than I expected.

certainly better than standard T5.1 !

however LED are allways better

Thanks for the replies. I just don't want to shell out best part of £40k and find things that are worse than our current van, especially as you cant upgrade once chosen. I'm sure LED s are better but they are also an extra £1k.

Is there the intermediate option?

T6 gets H4 (shocking) / H7 (acceptable) /LED (reportedly fantastic).

Hi. Update to help anybody else thinking of taking the plunge without being able to test drive. I asked my salesman today and he agreed that the headlights on the T6 were rubbish and he changed the bulbs on his own van. He said that those on the 6.1 were better. My gut feeling was to stay with the standard but I do drive a quite bit in the dark in narrow lanes and he recommended the LED - so I'm £1k down but should have fantastic vision. Now the wait begins.............the days might be short again by the time it arrives :)

Back