Swamper upgrade

Hi All,

I'm new to VW camper vans and to this forum but I've noticed that you people are very helpful here and give great advices here. I hope you could help me as well.

I have a stock California SE 2010 (which I bought recently) which needs new suspensions. I always wanted a swamper visually and practically as I'm planning some off grid camping in Europe this summer. I need something more versatile which will drive OK on motorways and won't stuck in the forest or in the field completely loaded with camping stuff.

The main question I have - do I really need to go with lift suspension?

What would you recommend to got with?

I like this kit a lot:

245 65 17 BFGOODRICH KO2

For suspension I chose these options:
  • Lifted - Bilstein Eibach Pro Spring Swamper 35mm Lift Kit
  • Normal - BILSTEIN B14 HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE COILOVER SUSPENSION
Please suggest. I appreciate your time in advance.

P.S. @MAT@VWT5UPGRADES @CRS Performance May be you could give me a hand to choose correct options for my Cali?

Kind regards,
Jev

Last edited:
Here is more:

I’m doing a research on swamper modification and I know what parts I want to use. The only thing I’m really confused with - all these different sizes. Could you help me please to choose the correct parts please.

I guess wheels and tyres will depend on the suspension kit I will go for. Currently I’m considering these options:

Lift kits:
Normal kits:
My main dilemma is: do I really need 35mm rise? What do you think?

Rims (not sure what sizes):
Tyres (B F GOODRICH T/A KO 2 ALL TERRAIN WHITE LETTER) - not sure what size:
Do I really need to buy new rims for BFG tyres? Can I keep my current wheels (at least for now)?

I have several temporary setups in mind for February (as I’m trying to keep to my monthly budget):
  • Bilstein B14 kit, old rims, old tyres
  • Bilstein B14 kit, old rims, BFG tyres
  • Bilstein Eibach Pro Spring Swamper 35mm, old rims, BFG tyres
  • Bilstein Eibach Pro Spring Swamper 35mm, old rims, old tyres (this one gonna look awful)
However, before doing a temporary setup in February, I would like to choose which way I’m going to go forward with the swamper modification (which suspension kit) and that’s where I need your help to choose correct parts for my needs.

P.S. @MAT@VWT5UPGRADES @CRS Performance please suggest =)

Last edited:
Yes we can certainly help and advise. Send us some contact details and we can have a chat. Only up the road too so you can demo some kits

Back