Buying without a service history

Sorry Dave I'm confused..

my comment was to help the O.P, who is nervous about service history.
How have you ended up swinging your handbag in my direction?
You disagree with my statement and my experience... fine...as i said....present some data to refute my experience, I've given you my subjective experience, so you give yours right? I dont agree with you, you dont agree with me...thats fine too.....As I said, in my reply to you, its ok to disagree but don't get your bra in a twist son and get the kitty claws out. Thats just not nice is it.

Here's a link to the forum rules. Refresh yourself and think about How you respond.
Rather than trawl through my old threads like a teenage girl digging up dirt on someone she hates on Facebook and making catty remarks.

you dont have to read my stuff mate, just block my posts.... easy...

Sorry Dave I'm confused..

my comment was to help the O.P, who is nervous about service history.
How have you ended up swinging your handbag in my direction?
You disagree with my statement and my experience... fine...as i said....present some data to refute my experience, I've given you my subjective experience, so you give yours right? I dont agree with you, you dont agree with me...thats fine too.....As I said, in my reply to you, its ok to disagree but don't get your bra in a twist son and get the kitty claws out. Thats just not nice is it.

Here's a link to the forum rules. Refresh yourself and think about How you respond.
Rather than trawl through my old threads like a teenage girl digging up dirt on someone she hates on Facebook and making catty remarks.

you dont have to read my stuff mate, just block my posts.... easy...

In the interests of keeping the Forum a nice place I won't be engaging with you any further.

As far as I understand VW extended warranty is only be available if a validated service history is confirmed. After all why would any insurance provider give extended coverage without the knowledge that service intervals have correctly adhered to. As you know there is no requirement for the services to be undertaken by a VW franchised dealer - just that the services have been undertaken in accordance with the manufacturers schedule.

I slightly disagree with Jonesy123 in so far that a complete service history maintains a better value for a vehicle, where as no service history will certainly de value any vehicle. In any event if I was buying any vehicle out of warranty with no service record I would invest in a complete inspection by the likes of the AA, RAC or qualified motor vehicle technician. Common sense would tell you that wouldn’t take chance with your hard earned £££
Well actually Rob .Id partly agree with you there, maybe I was a little over zealous on my view re: history, and i definitely think that on the buying and selling front, if you're of the generation who like to see a full history it will make a difference to the buyers mindset especially as a non-mechanic. My point being that with modern vehicles its not such a requirement as it used to be and in future generations it will all be electronic id imagine like MOT tests are.
I mean if you buy new and only have VW services you're going to have a great history.
I think alot of people who buy second and third hand vans to start off which most of mine have been, history is not as important as how the van currently sits mechanically if that makes sense? If i buy a van im not overly bothered about its history but im competent and confident at viewing and testing vans pre-sale.
You make a good point on getting a qualified person to help....dont some services like Rac and AA offer thos service? Or did I just make that up?

Well actually Rob .Id partly agree with you there, maybe I was a little over zealous on my view re: history, and i definitely think that on the buying and selling front, if you're of the generation who like to see a full history it will make a difference to the buyers mindset especially as a non-mechanic. My point being that with modern vehicles its not such a requirement as it used to be and in future generations it will all be electronic id imagine like MOT tests are.
I mean if you buy new and only have VW services you're going to have a great history.
I think alot of people who buy second and third hand vans to start off which most of mine have been, history is not as important as how the van currently sits mechanically if that makes sense? If i buy a van im not overly bothered about its history but im competent and confident at viewing and testing vans pre-sale.
You make a good point on getting a qualified person to help....dont some services like Rac and AA offer thos service? Or did I just make that up?
It’s great that you have the experience and knowledge to correctly assess the mechanical condition of used vehicles. In reality the vast majority of buyers of all sorts of vehicles have no clue about such matters and are not expected to have such knowledge so the history is a comfort factor and a safety net to them.( I have gained my experience from club motorsport having built many competition cars from scratch - not everyone is so fortunate and therefore they must trust third party information )

Oil condition is key to the longevity of the engine and turbocharger/s.
Missing an oil change at any point will reduce the engine life as will excessive contamination of the oil with soot and fuel.
The earlier in the engines life the oil condition is compromised the worse the outcome for the longevity.
There is no correcting the engine degradation with subsequent frequent changes, the components surface finish and clearances are already affected. Engine wear accelerates the rate or wear and oil contamination.
Oil filters do not remove all particles, they are limited by the rated micron spec’, even within this specification they don’t remove all particles in a single pass.

To state that an engine operating on the incorrect oil was still running after a year is not a sound reason for not being concerned about the service history. The engine maybe running but the condition is no doubt affected. Instead of a potential 500K miles it maybe drastically reduced.

Back