Surely that ain’t right? [Regen]

Molldog

T6 Guru
Firstly excuse my ignorance.
My T6.1 spends most of its time parked up on the drive. I do try and get out for a run at least once a week, although this will soon be changing to regular jaunts now the better weather is approaching.
However. It seems every time I go on a journey I get a rather loud fan noise which seems to go on for quite a while.
I was out today and the fan came on on my outward journey and also ran for a good part of my return journey. (Approx 20 miles each way)
Parked up on the drive and the fan continued running for around a minute before eventually stopping.
Is this the cooling fan for the DPF? Surely it shouldn’t be running for so long and so often?
Thought I’d get some info from you good people before maybe contacting the vehicle supplier.

Make sure the tank is at least half-full and take the van for a decent run out with higher revs. Sounds like it needs a dpf

Just got 2k miles on the clock. Obviously been driving carefully up to press as she’s a new baby!
Sounds like she needs a bit of a spanking down the motorway!
Generally drive steadily with revs under or close to 2000rpm. Would upping the revs for a while sort the issue?

Just got 2k miles on the clock. Obviously been driving carefully up to press as she’s a new baby!
Sounds like she needs a bit of a spanking down the motorway!
Generally drive steadily with revs under or close to 2000rpm. Would upping the revs for a while sort the issue?
yep, up the revs for a bit. No need to thrash it, the van just needs a run out!

You can finish it when you pull up if you notice the tick over is high and fan running, just increase the revs to bout 2k and hold the revs perfectly steady. As soon as the regen finishes the revs will lift a little and it will sound less rough. Then drop back to idle for a minute or two and the fans will slow down.

You can finish it when you pull up if you notice the tick over is high and fan running, just increase the revs to bout 2k and hold the revs perfectly steady. As soon as the regen finishes the revs will lift a little and it will sound less rough. Then drop back to idle for a minute or two and the fans will slow down.
Nice one, @Loz

I never knew that trick for when I land home and van hasn't finished the regen

If you only notice after switching off the engine is it a good idea to restart and do this?

No, apparently not a good idea to switch it back on. Definitely always have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel as it won't regen with low fuel.

It regens every 2 hours of driving, so it does it a lot!

No, apparently not a good idea to switch it back on. Definitely always have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel as it won't regen with low fuel.

It regens every 2 hours of driving, so it does it a lot!
I always keep 1/4 tank or more in, but the regen works fine at lower fuel levels with the new software, which a T6.1 should have.

I never leave mine running on idle. Complete waste of fuel. Just let it regen on next drive.

Also, no roughness on newer ones so it is much harder to know it’s doing a regen, but as mentioned above, the software is less restrictive. Doesn’t wait till engine hot either, just gets on with regen

Oh, that's good to know. I had T6's, so it was definitely noticeable & my first one was always overrunning.

I'm trying to avoid the oil issue with the 6.1 tho, so trying to get used to how it works.

Back