Sudden Loss In Power

Whitespliff

Hello,

I have a T6 diesel 140HP transporter with DSG for 2.5 years now.
Since a few few months I noticed a strange loss in power.
The van takes much longer to switch to a higher gear & if I for ex. am driving 65kph & hit the gas pedal just a little it immediately switches to a lower gear. Before it would stay in 6th & pull up until 75kph to switch to 7th gear.
If I accelerate from 30kph or 40kph to 80kph it stays in 5th gear all the way until 80kph, before it would switch to 6th around 60kph.
If I'm going 100kph & wanna go to 120kph it switches back to 5th, before it stayed in 6th. It also takes much longer to get to 120kph.

I already took it to an official VW dealer but they have no idea what the problem is.
According to them there is nothing wrong because they can't find an error code in the board computer.
Problem is that a guy I know had a look at it & he noticed that the board computer itself had an error, no error code. He unfortunately deleted the error & it hasn't showed up afterwards.

Anybody any idea what this could be? Could it be the cpu itself?
Tnx

Morning @Whitespliff welcome to the forum.

You mention this loss of power happened a few months ago. Did this coincide with any work you'd had done?
I have a friend who owns a T5 that had been re-mapped by the previous owner. He recently had some work done by a dealer, who somehow wiped the re-map. This then led to the T5 being noticeably slower.

Just a thought.

Mechanical issues won’t always bring up a fault so this could be difficult to track down.
First thing I would check for is a leak on the intake hoses to see if you are leaking air after the turbo.

The DSG gearboxes are adaptive and will adjust the way they change gear dependant on driving style, my van can be a real jekyll and hyde depending if me or my wife have been driving as i always give it a foot full and she never does and drives very conservatively
Not sure you can really 'control' how and when the box changes, its memory can be wiped/reset but that just starts the 'learning' process again and it will relearn its shift parameters and start adjusting to the current driving style again but chances are you will end up with shift patterns extremely similar to what they are now, my DSG has been 'relearned' a few times and always ends up with quite similar results

The DSG gearboxes are adaptive and will adjust the way they change gear dependant on driving style, my van can be a real jekyll and hyde depending if me or my wife have been driving as i always give it a foot full and she never does and drives very conservatively
Not sure you can really 'control' how and when the box changes, its memory can be wiped/reset but that just starts the 'learning' process again and it will relearn its shift parameters and start adjusting to the current driving style again but chances are you will end up with shift patterns extremely similar to what they are now, my DSG has been 'relearned' a few times and always ends up with quite similar results

All my previous BMWs had adaptive boxes, and you're spot on with how it learns different drivers and makes the vehicle feel very different, dependant on who's been driving it. I actually didn't realise the DSG was also adaptive, and it makes sense.

School day, even at the weekend :unsure:

Hello, notification mail for reply's apparently got lost in my spam filter :-(
Tnx for the reply's.
Morning @Whitespliff welcome to the forum.

You mention this loss of power happened a few months ago. Did this coincide with any work you'd had done?
I have a friend who owns a T5 that had been re-mapped by the previous owner. He recently had some work done by a dealer, who somehow wiped the re-map. This then led to the T5 being noticeably slower.

Just a thought.
Yes, it went to the national dealer here in Belgium b/c I've been having problems (from the start) with my extra heater.

The dealer has 'reprogrammed' the DSG last friday but that didn't really fix it.
It really feels more like a loss in power.

Yesterday some idiot crashed into my back so the car is back at the dealer to fix this.
I've asked them to check again if there is maybe a leak in a tube or something.

Tnx again for you're reply's!

Back