Submersible water pump won't turn off [RESOLVED]

boxelder

T6 Guru
So, recently my Comet Elegant pump hasn't been turning off - makes a buzzing noise, like it's pressurising, even with the microswitches tap off. Turn the tap on and it pumps water normally. Luckily I added a switch so can kill the power. Battery charge level is fine 12.5v. Before I start strippings/checking wiring, could an airlock somewhere cause this - it was on out of water briefly.

Its not a pressurised system so its simply down to the pump getting 12v when it shouldnt, most likely a short between the microswitch wires or a faulty/jammed microswitch.
Or the microswitch could just need its position adjusting. The noise is probably impellor cavitation as it cant shift the water its trying to pump because the tap is turned off.
Cheers
Phil

Its not a pressurised system so its simply down to the pump getting 12v when it shouldnt, most likely a short between the microswitch wires or a faulty/jammed microswitch.
Or the microswitch could just need its position adjusting. The noise is probably impellor cavitation as it cant shift the water its trying to pump because the tap is turned off.
Cheers
Phil
So the microswitch will just be live in, live out and the switch is failing to interrupt the circuit? Odd that it stops pumping the water - would that suggest the power issue was elsewhere/'downstream' of the extra switch? Sorry, electrics are a little bit black magic to me still.

EDIT: You were right @Phil_G - the tap had been spun around slightly. Straightened it and problem solved. Cheers fella, was about to start stripping cables.....

Last edited:
Back