Struggling With Budget And Engine Sizes...

Shortbread69

T6 Pro
Having spent a couple of weeks on this forum and the web in general, I am still looking at T6s rather than T5.1, but struggling to afford a fully converted T6 with a larger engine. Would the 5 speeds 102 in a T30 be powerful enough for a “standard” camper conversion (pop up roof, etc...), 2 people travelling, luggage, water, gas etc as well as (potentially) a bike rack?

Looking to live in the slower lane but worried the 102 won’t have enough humph...

Simple answer - yes.

But it does depend on your performance expectations.

We are just finishing a 3,000 mile , two and a half week trip in exactly that vehicle, and it’s fine. No issues with cruising at 75mph all day, up and down hills.

Yes, it might struggle to do that speed on steeper hills, but they are few and far between.

Could you hire one for a few days, or alternatively find a forum member near you who can take you for a test drive ?

Pete

I had the same dilemma before we bought our van. Like you, wasn’t fussed about bombing it around but I did have a concern about higher engine revs and noise. In the end we spent a bit more and got a 140ps, which I think in hindsight was the right choice. It’s a fully converted t6, if you find yourself anywhere near Southampton let me know and we can take it for a spin.

Mine is a 102 and is fully converted, I find it fine, always keeps up with traffic and it's a camper for weekends and holidays when i want to relax, so I make full use of the cruise control, sit back and enjoy the ride. Driven like that, it averages 38 MPG.

Another 102 here, absolutely no issues with mine however everyone is different. Some like to sit back a cruise whilst keeping up with modern traffic, in which the 102 is ideal, others like to get to their destination first, the 204 is good for that.
I drive mine daily fully loaded with camper conversion and gear. Last year we took the van around Ireland including bikes on back. She wasn't far of her max weight but you very rarely knew it.
Research the possibility of tuning the engine with a remap. Not for everyone but the 102 is a down rated 140 engine. Could be chipped to 150+. Could be an option further down the road.

Yet another 102 here on a T30 van with full camper conversion have had no problems with it in terms of performance but then I didn't want or need a sports car!!

Having spent a couple of weeks on this forum and the web in general, I am still looking at T6s rather than T5.1, but struggling to afford a fully converted T6 with a larger engine. Would the 5 speeds 102 in a T30 be powerful enough for a “standard” camper conversion (pop up roof, etc...), 2 people travelling, luggage, water, gas etc as well as (potentially) a bike rack?

Looking to live in the slower lane but worried the 102 won’t have enough humph...

I guess it depends on the terrain and how much gear changing you’ll be doing.
I have a Euro 5 180ps and get 38-40mpg indicated when fully loaded as a camper, it’s nice to have the extra grunt available on very steep hills.
If you’re mainly driving on the flat than 102ps should be fine.

Dont be daft. Go T5.1. It will last longer and be in more demand when people finally realise VW have cut tons of corners to cut costs. If your thinking of a T6 because your a number plate Ho or to boast its a T6 then dont let your heart make you get one. In a years time we will have a T7.3, they are certainly getting closer together.

Im coming from a 2005 T5 and the paint is thin on my T6, Rust underneath, Rust on the sliding door, I get less miles out of my 150 then I did my 2.5 5cyl 174. Day 3 of owning it needed an intake manifold which luckily was on warranty but still worrying considering it only has 9500 miles on it! Mine is a 2016 with 9500 miles on it, otherwise in good condition but slightly regretting my move from a T5 Caravelle.

Before I get hung up and get lashes this is just my experience and opinion. I am hearing plenty of bad and good reviews. Apart from the above its nice van but I honestly wouldnt make yourself skint to get into a T6 if your budget wont allow. Your not missing a great deal.

Back