Strange extra items spliced into heater control unit & unit not working T5.1

james_pendle

Recently purchased a 2011 T5.1. After only a few days ownership its riddled with electrical problems.

The main puzzling one being the heater control unit randomly dieing. Its a strange one because the dials still seem to have an affect on things (ALTHOUGH IT ONLY BLOWS HOT WHICH IS A SEPARATE ISSUE), but the AC button and recirculation button do nothing.

I found an extra random little aftermarket switch module in the glove box, and have since realised it is spliced into the back of the heater unit (looks like pos/neg/earth).

Removed the glovebox completely only to find some other random extras under there. There is a long wing type piece of plastic with a wire coming out which was duck taped to the back of the housing, and there is also some kind of sensor taped to the air pipe which is under the glovebox.

Anybody have any clue on what these might be?

I am guessing I can just pull those wires out of the back of the heater control unit, but does make me worry then whether it is not earthed. (note the little stub of earth cable that they spliced into looks original).

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9496.jpg

IMG_9497.jpg

Is your parrot kit not working?

Any pics of the additional parts found behind the glove box?

Looks like they’ve tried using the AC loom as feeds for something

Also, I’ve had AC units (HVAC control units) die due to water/moisture ingress. Check for corrosion on the plugs

UPDATE - After more digging under the glovebox, turns out it was an old fleet gprs tracking system, that had been very poorly spliced into the main looms. Cut all the wires and attached them back to the original looms using wago connectors.
Hey presto, heater unit is alive again, and it also fixed the 'stuck on heat' problem.

Now just the several other issues on the list to tackle haha.

Back