Stop start

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Further to my thread on sluggish cranking.....I've had my suspicions about the battery from day 1 of ownership. I was always under the impression that S/S can indicate a good or a bad battery by the way it operates.....my wife's mini stop start is way more consistent and kicks in very early. Mine on the other hand.....tonight coming home, the fan was on 1, the radio was on, and my candles, sorry, headlights were on. Yet again, I found I was able to operate the S/S just by switching the fan on and off. I hope that makes sense? Does anyone else have a reluctant S/S.....it really doesn't take much electrical load to render my S/S inoperable. Anyone else recognise this? I believe batteries are out of warranty after 12 months.....but I brought this up with the dealer early on. They said, it's fine.....I'm not too sure!
Thoughts anyone???? :)

The problem is always exacerbated in the winter when you are driving with lights and other services running, the initial cranking drain could take 15-20 minutes to be put back in, but even with start stop disabled I have noticed the alternator in idle mode and not charging as a fuel saving measure.

In daylight, If you drive a fair distance, the next time you start I would expect the SS to cut in fairly quickly, mine cuts in after just 2 miles driving during the day.
Reading the service notes on SS there are many things that stop it operating, so the only real test is battery testing and measurement.

Letting an AGM drop below 10.6 volts really kills them (was it allowed to go flat before delivery)
Are all the terminals and earth straps tight.
Was the battery changed and the battery monitoring module adapted(I don’t think yours was, but just adding it for info)
Do you have any parasitic drain from trackers/alarms/dash cams/phone chargers etc. Draining it when its stood?

The problem is always exacerbated in the winter when you are driving with lights and other services running, the initial cranking drain could take 15-20 minutes to be put back in, but even with start stop disabled I have noticed the alternator in idle mode and not charging as a fuel saving measure.

In daylight, If you drive a fair distance, the next time you start I would expect the SS to cut in fairly quickly, mine cuts in after just 2 miles driving during the day.
Reading the service notes on SS there are many things that stop it operating, so the only real test is battery testing and measurement.

Letting an AGM drop below 10.6 volts really kills them (was it allowed to go flat before delivery)
Are all the terminals and earth straps tight.
Was the battery changed and the battery monitoring module adapted(I don’t think yours was, but just adding it for info)
Do you have any parasitic drain from trackers/alarms/dash cams/phone chargers etc. Draining it when its stood?
Hmmmm......the battery certainly hasn't gone flat while its been in my possession. The vw connect app (rubbish) has shown it down at 11.8 volts while stationary?

For info my SS used to stop the engine after just 200m from cold start (15 to 20 deg C) and I wasn't even at complete stand still. SS is a waste of space.
See the "Disabling the Stop Start with VCDS" thread. I have a little memory module fitted and it saves my last setting.
Also I have fitted 80w headlight bulbs.

Back