Stop start error and limp mode

Theduke

T6 Pro
Hi

Broke down the other day. Stop start warning on MFD, flashing glow plug light and then went into limp mode. I was stuck on a hill and couldn’t get going again. 8 hours later RAC transported us home. Local garage couldn’t find the fault. Had a full service and cam belt change a week before this happened. Could it be connected to that?

Going to van centre on Friday.

Only had the van 3 months. It’s a camper conversion from a dealer. Could it be the wiring with leisure battery? I had a flat battery a month ago. Jump started and mechanic said battery was ok. I must have left something on. I’ve changed the DRL to LED. Use a portable solar trickle charger. But haven’t touched anything else.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks

How old is the van, is the battery original, and what make is it ?

Pete

There have been lots of issues with Moll batteries (just search on here).
Definitely replace it if it’s anywhere near the age of the van, and then see if the problems continue.

Pete

OK thanks for the advice Pete
Hi

Broke down the other day. Stop start warning on MFD, flashing glow plug light and then went into limp mode. I was stuck on a hill and couldn’t get going again. 8 hours later RAC transported us home. Local garage couldn’t find the fault. Had a full service and cam belt change a week before this happened. Could it be connected to that?

Going to van centre on Friday.

Only had the van 3 months. It’s a camper conversion from a dealer. Could it be the wiring with leisure battery? I had a flat battery a month ago. Jump started and mechanic said battery was ok. I must have left something on. I’ve changed the DRL to LED. Use a portable solar trickle charger. But haven’t touched anything else.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks
Hi,
Has the van been stood / moved short distances over a period?

I had a very similar issue when I picked mine up from the converters. It had been stood / moved in and out of their workshops over about a month. It kept going in to limp mode on the way home. If I left it 5 or 10 mins it would start and run OK until I slowed / stopped at a junction and it tried to do the stop start. So I turned everything electrical off, including the stop start and I gave it a steady run for about 50 miles and then went home, left it overnight and the next day (and ever since) there have been no issues.

Hi Dazza

That’s really helpful. Thanks.
Yes we are not driving if often, probably once a week. And we usually go 30-40 miles. The local garage I took it to did a 40 mile test drive. 20 miles each way. On the way there it was fine. But on the way back it went into limp mode again. Maybe it just needs a good 50 mile constant run? Didn’t think of turning the stop start off. I’m a bit worried the van centre will charge the earth, but will see. Taking in tomorrow so might take it for a good run later. Thanks again.

Thanks Ads. Van with VW dealer now. Apparently a wiring issue, but they’ve got to locate it.

Just an update in case it helps anyone. The wiring issue was located under the front swivel seat. Apparently a lot of converters remove the wiring from beneath the original seat. And then place the looms under the flooring. If not done properly the wiring gets damp and then damaged. Not fault or limp mode so far!

Back