Stone Damage to Radiator Fins

WhiskyDisco

I've just returned from a 2500 mile road trip to Croatia and back. My first job was to clean off the bugs from the bonnet and give the alloys a spruce up. Whilst I was cleaning the bumper I noticed that the radiators had picked up a few insects along the way too - but more worrying were the dents to the radiator fins, no doubt caused by stones.

Whilst driving along the A4 I came up behind a couple of tipper trucks that were slowly dropping gravel along the road as they travelled along. These might be the cause of the damage.

My question for the forum is should I be worried by this damage? Can the fins take this sort of abuse?

View media item 1023
View media item 1022
View media item 1021
View media item 1020

I have seen damaged like the first picture caused by using a jet wash too close to the grille.

In my experience of messing with these they are best left alone and as long as the heat exchanger in question is not leaking then just leave it.

( I have in the past wasted literally hours with long nose pliers straightening them out )

I wouldn't worry mine look similar the pipes that carry the liquid are further back inside the rad so don't see any issues there, the only thing I do is if an large area becomes folded on the front blocking airflow too much is get a small flat screwdriver and ease a few fins back over so there isn't an area completely blocked off but looking at your pics of it if it were mine I would leave it

Thanks Loz and Pauly - if I had a plan of the parts I would feel at ease knowing where the important bits and bobs were. With your guidance I'm not worrying now.

I've fitted aftermarket rad guards on both rads on my motorcycle.

Any equivalent for the T6?

Replacing my front grille after our little wildlife encounter the other weekend, there is damage to the front radiator.

I've had a search and I think @Pauly and @Loz have previously said similar stone chip damage was not an issue, just looking for some reassurance.

Running the engine up to temp and aircon on, no leaks I can see. Pic:
DSC_1285.JPG

TIA.

If it's not leaking I'd count myself lucky and put everything back together!!!
DSC_1292.JPG

They look as though butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, but at 70mph those wood pigeons are rock hard :slow rofl:

Doesnt look too bad, personally if its not leaking dont think i would worry about it too much

Reactions: CAB
I'm sure that particular pigeon won't be troubling the rest of us, many thanks for eliminating it! ;)
At £65 a time for a replacement grille (not to mention the hours and hassle of removing the bumper) I can't afford to eliminate too many more :fast rofl:

So on a T6 the first rad behind the bumper is what the intercooler am I right as hit a bloody pheasant last week and smashed my lower grill and bent 3 fins on the first rad and need to get it replaced or do I get an upgrade one ? Help needed

So on a T6 the first rad behind the bumper is what the intercooler am I right as hit a bloody pheasant last week and smashed my lower grill and bent 3 fins on the first rad and need to get it replaced or do I get an upgrade one ? Help needed
If you've not got a boost leak, could you not straighten out the bent fins?

Back