Steering noise, normal?

Absolutely!
Yeah, I had my suspicions that the arm air was contributing to it hence the test yesterday. Still seems to be ok after another 100 miles so hopefully that's that!

Mine creaks loudly when very slow turns and touching brakes..will not creak with no braking??

So have we got any ideas what to try first ?
Creaking when turning left and right at 2mph getting into a space etc driving me crazy
It's been in once and they didn't find anything I've since had b14's fitted and it's still there so it's definitely not that and had new top mounts just incase I've only done 7k !!!

Re-launching this thread rather than start another.
Just started getting a banging on the front end when going lock to lock. Also when in reverse but does not take extremes of lock to cause the banging.
It seems to be on both left and right locks so I think it’s probably rack related.
Anyone else had similar issues or had to have rack replaced?

Is it while you are turning or only when you hit the lock stop ?

Is it while you are turning or only when you hit the lock stop ?
It is on the extremes of lock, however when reversing it occurs earlier in the steering wheel travel. It only bangs once per turn rather than grinding/ banging throughout the motion.

I know on my T5 it got very noisy caused by the belt trying to step out on the pump pulley but only on the extremities of lock not while moving, strange it's different in reverse ?

I had a knocking/banging the other week on my front end of mine, called into my man on the way home that night and he got it on the ramp and within a minute spotted the top bolt on the drop link had worked lose. I could not feel anything though the steering from it or the suspension, it just sounded like you get when a exhaust come lose and knocks on the body.
The knocking only happened on manoeuvring or if i went over a pot hole so to speak. May be worth investigating @DaveyB . Just a thought :unsure:

Last edited:
I had a knocking/banging the other week on my front end of mine, call in to my man on the way home that night and he got it on the ramp and within a minute spotted the top bolt on the drop link had worked lose. I could not feel anything though the steering from it or the suspension, it just sounded like you get when a exhaust come lose and knocks on the body.
The knocking only happened on manoeuvring or if i went over a pot hole so to speak. May be worth investigating @DaveyB . Just a thought :unsure:
Cheers @StudleyGlass, might get it into my local fella before taking it to the incompetent stealers.

The creaking on mine turned out to be the pads in the calipers..metal to metal on the pad ears..sanded and greased..noise now gone Very old school, wouldn't have expected from a new vehicle..

What is uj and how do I get to it?
Bear in mind it was my T5 and the trim may be different......but, from memory, the universal joint was hidden behind a shroud at the bottom of the steering column. This had to be removed to get to the UJ which was situated as the steering column disappeared through the floor. In order to remove this shroud, I removed the big flat piece of trim under the dash. Again, assuming it's similar to a T5, it'll be obvious to you as soon as you look under the dash. I had to do it 2 or 3 times a year.....but it only took 20 minutes or so, start to finish.....dead easy. Hope that's of help?:thumbsup:

Thanks, I only ask as I have a knocking at low/parking speeds when nearly full lock, I have b14's about 10mm left had them for 1200 miles and nothing then one day when it got really cold get this, although I did swap back to standard suspension for 2 weeks and was ok and now swapped back got noise again.

Not sure if I've got the same problem, as you all sound to have slightly different issues? My T5 2012 makes a thudding noise as soon as you turn the wheel slightly left or right. Then the more you turn it disappears. but the noise is getting worse and you just about feel it in the steering wheel. again I notice it more at low speeds. I think maybe this is more like what you described mopardave? But then maybe its all the same problem just varying degrees??

Any help would be great ?

Thanks in advanced

I have a problem it's driving me nuts what I have noticed is when I bring the RPMS up to about 1200 the noise or vibration goes away

My 2016 t6 diesel Long wheel base four motion is making the same noise /vibration/ rumble when manoeuvring slowly and turning the steering wheel slightly left or right I've taken it back to the VW dealer ship they tell me all late-model transporters have the same problem ,considering the amount of money you pay for these vehicles it Is just not good enough I'm out of warranty in a couple of months I'm considering giving my problem over two John Cadogan on YouTube he really loves the VWs

My 2016 t6 diesel Long wheel base four motion is making the same noise /vibration/ rumble when manoeuvring slowly and turning the steering wheel slightly left or right I've taken it back to the VW dealer ship they tell me all late-model transporters have the same problem ,considering the amount of money you pay for these vehicles it Is just not good enough I'm out of warranty in a couple of months I'm considering giving my problem over two John Cadogan on YouTube he really loves the VWs

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Did you ever find out what it was?! Sounds exactly what I have!

Back