1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering noise, normal?

Discussion in 'Suspension Steering Brakes' started by jimbobwillis, 13 Dec 2016.

1. jimbobwillis

jimbobwillis New Member

Map
    Hi All,
    Had my t32 for 3 weeks now.
    I have a noise that is bothering me.
    When I turn the steering wheel left or right when moving a low level rumble noise appears. It's not a scraping noise. I would imagine that there should be silence?
    Anyone else have a noise when turning ?
    Probably nothing, but it's annoying me slightly.
    Thanks

2. Alan Walsh

Alan Walsh Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I have the same thing, done 25k now and still there no louder or quieter than from new. Just get used to it after a while.

3. jimbobwillis

jimbobwillis New Member

Map
    It's driving me mad. Oh well apart from this the Kombi is great.
    Might take it into vw to see what they say.
    Will keep you posted.

4. Andy Cody

Andy Cody Member VIP Member

Map
    That's interesting. I have a Kombi too and the steering has started making a funny squeak / squeal. I noticed it when I had to go from left lock to right lock in a car park the other day. The van has only done 4k.

5. Keeff

Keeff Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    I get tyre noise when turning at a junction or into another road . It comes from the outside tyre.

6. mopardave

mopardave 150 Kombi Manual VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I had that on my t5.......drove me nuts......took ages to track it down! It was a dry uj at bottom of steering column!!!! Used to be worse when I'd had the vents blowing on to my feet for a while. Peeled mat back and hit it hard with silicone spray......bingo!

jimbobwillis likes this.
  7. mopardave

Map
    Has it sorted it mate?

8. Buggirl

Buggirl Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    No noise from mine??

9. mopardave

Map
    No.....nor mine. My T5 was a problem though but I sorted it after going down numerous blind alley's.....and it was so bloomin simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. T1mcf

T1mcf Member T6 Pro

Map
    I'm getting a creaking noise from mine only happens when stationary and turning the wheel to the right ??

11. Caravellet6

Caravellet6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Mines doing the same, it's going back to the dealer next month, also creak from left rear when cornering and a sticking drivers window!

jimbobwillis likes this.
  12. T1mcf

T1mcf Member T6 Pro

Map
    What size wheels do you have on yours @Caravellet6 ? I was wondering if my 20s had caused it?

13. Caravellet6

Caravellet6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Standard Cascavel wheels so 17" I think

14. jimbobwillis

jimbobwillis New Member

Map
    Thanks for that, I will give it a go.

15. Andy Cody

Map
    Sorry Mopardave, I'm not ignoring you! I haven't had chance to give your solution a try yet (It's approaching freezing and I've yet to finish reinstalling the central heating in the house so apparently that takes priority :laugh:) I'll report back once I've given it a go. Interesting to hear others are having similar issues though.
    I wonder what VW's response would be if I took it in? The van is less than a year only but I'm in the middle of running the wiring so its not exactly looking like it did when I drove it out of the showroom.

16. mopardave

Map
    You know what Andy.....if it doesn't cause you to go to too much trouble, I'd take it back to make the point. We pay a lot of money.......is it too much to expect that these vans are fit for purpose? I only sorted my own because my T5 was 8 years old and not covered by any warranty.

17. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 Admin Moderator VCDS User VIP Member

Map
    Since reading this I have noticed that mine make an interesting rumble when going round a roundabout, I am thinking it might be coming from the edge of the tyres.

18. Andy Cody

Map
    So I tried Mopardave'a suggestion on Friday and it's been nice and quiet since! Had a long drive with the heaters on today and it hasn't reared its head yet. I will definitely mention it to VW though as I need to take it in anyway (I'm convinced there's a termostat / fan issue - it takes ages to warm up and soon drops back off the 90 mark when in city traffic) also my breaks are squealing like mad now so a dealer visit is definitely on the cards.
    Thanks for all the help!

19. mopardave

Map
    Andy.....another point to bear in mind. I found that mine got worse if I used the floor setting on the vents.......as if the warm air was drying out the UJ?

20. mopardave

Map
    I read of people going to some quite extreme lengths to "solve" this problem on one of the other forums........and I do mean extreme......instead of starting with the basics! Of course, in some cases, it was a different problem but I'm a firm believer in "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey".