Steering noise, normal?

jimbobwillis

VIP Member
Hi All,
Had my t32 for 3 weeks now.
I have a noise that is bothering me.
When I turn the steering wheel left or right when moving a low level rumble noise appears. It's not a scraping noise. I would imagine that there should be silence?
Anyone else have a noise when turning ?
Probably nothing, but it's annoying me slightly.
Thanks

I have the same thing, done 25k now and still there no louder or quieter than from new. Just get used to it after a while.

I have the same thing, done 25k now and still there no louder or quieter than from new. Just get used to it after a while.[/QUOTE
It's driving me mad. Oh well apart from this the Kombi is great.
Might take it into vw to see what they say.
Will keep you posted.

That's interesting. I have a Kombi too and the steering has started making a funny squeak / squeal. I noticed it when I had to go from left lock to right lock in a car park the other day. The van has only done 4k.

I get tyre noise when turning at a junction or into another road . It comes from the outside tyre.

That's interesting. I have a Kombi too and the steering has started making a funny squeak / squeal. I noticed it when I had to go from left lock to right lock in a car park the other day. The van has only done 4k.
I had that on my t5.......drove me nuts......took ages to track it down! It was a dry uj at bottom of steering column!!!! Used to be worse when I'd had the vents blowing on to my feet for a while. Peeled mat back and hit it hard with silicone spray......bingo!

I'm getting a creaking noise from mine only happens when stationary and turning the wheel to the right ??

I had that on my t5.......drove me nuts......took ages to track it down! It was a dry uj at bottom of steering column!!!! Used to be worse when I'd had the vents blowing on to my feet for a while. Peeled mat back and hit it hard with silicone spray......bingo!
Thanks for that, I will give it a go.

Has it sorted it mate?

Sorry Mopardave, I'm not ignoring you! I haven't had chance to give your solution a try yet (It's approaching freezing and I've yet to finish reinstalling the central heating in the house so apparently that takes priority :laugh:) I'll report back once I've given it a go. Interesting to hear others are having similar issues though.
I wonder what VW's response would be if I took it in? The van is less than a year only but I'm in the middle of running the wiring so its not exactly looking like it did when I drove it out of the showroom.

You know what Andy.....if it doesn't cause you to go to too much trouble, I'd take it back to make the point. We pay a lot of money.......is it too much to expect that these vans are fit for purpose? I only sorted my own because my T5 was 8 years old and not covered by any warranty.

Since reading this I have noticed that mine make an interesting rumble when going round a roundabout, I am thinking it might be coming from the edge of the tyres.

So I tried Mopardave'a suggestion on Friday and it's been nice and quiet since! Had a long drive with the heaters on today and it hasn't reared its head yet. I will definitely mention it to VW though as I need to take it in anyway (I'm convinced there's a termostat / fan issue - it takes ages to warm up and soon drops back off the 90 mark when in city traffic) also my breaks are squealing like mad now so a dealer visit is definitely on the cards.
Thanks for all the help!

So I tried Mopardave'a suggestion on Friday and it's been nice and quiet since! Had a long drive with the heaters on today and it hasn't reared its head yet. I will definitely mention it to VW though as I need to take it in anyway (I'm convinced there's a termostat / fan issue - it takes ages to warm up and soon drops back off the 90 mark when in city traffic) also my breaks are squealing like mad now so a dealer visit is definitely on the cards.
Thanks for all the help!
Andy.....another point to bear in mind. I found that mine got worse if I used the floor setting on the vents.......as if the warm air was drying out the UJ?

I read of people going to some quite extreme lengths to "solve" this problem on one of the other forums........and I do mean extreme......instead of starting with the basics! Of course, in some cases, it was a different problem but I'm a firm believer in "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey".

Back