Squeaky steering

Crazymind

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi folks,
I have got an annoying squeak coming off the steering column.
It’s related to the adjustment lever because when I release it the squeaky noise goes away. I have randomly sprayed silicon in the column but in one day the mouse was back.

Last edited:
Talking of squeaks and rattles, whenever I brake, a slight metallic clunk coming from the front drive wheel area. My local mechanic suggested it was the disc pads moving. Have checked twice, and they seem pretty well locked in correctly. At least I don't have to buy a cat or mousetrap.

I've got a creaking sound coming from my steering column when I turn. I was about to post asking if they need lubricating and if there is anything particular to use?

I used silicon spray on the joints on the column the other night but no joy. Mine seems to be from the plastic cover around the top of the column behind the steering wheel - probably different to what the T6 has though. I'm thinking it might need some sounds deadening material in there but need to make sure it would have enough clearance.

I am having this issue now did either of you resolve this issue?

Hi folks,
I have got an annoying squeak coming off the steering column.
It’s related to the adjustment lever because when I release it the squeaky noise goes away. I have randomly sprayed silicon in the column but in one day the mouse was back.
What was this in the end?

I have the same issue on my 23 T6.1 California. If I hit the underside of the steering wheel then I can reproduce the squeak.

You may find this thread off the California Forum useful. BTW Replacing the steering wheel column has not worked for one user. It does appear to be the airbag, My van is booked in to get it sorted.

I have the same issue on my 23 T6.1 California. If I hit the underside of the steering wheel then I can reproduce the squeak.

You may find this thread off the California Forum useful. BTW Replacing the steering wheel column has not worked for one user. It does appear to be the airbag, My van is booked in to get it sorted.

Mine turned out to just be dry joints the garage greased them up and not had the issue again.

Back