Spraying plastic - How would you do this?

Texxaco

T6 T32 204 DSG on SoLow 3H Air remapped to 257PS
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
In am in the middle of spraying the convenience lighting Console that is housed in the headlining in black however I have a small issue.

See image, how do I spray the buttons but keep the icons clear? Using masking tape looks like an impossible option due to the size of the icons.

Any help really appreciated.

25F64895-9230-4D35-98B5-84FDED35DD37.jpeg

Are the icons lower than the rest of the surface? If so you could paint over them with a water soluble paint or a masking compound, and then rub off to leave the paint behind in the icon. Then spray, and remove the rest.

Are the icons lower than the rest of the surface? If so you could paint over them with a water soluble paint or a masking compound, and then rub off to leave the paint behind in the icon. Then spray, and remove the rest.
Very slightly yes, water soluble paint, never heard of it.

When I say slightly, it’s like they plastic coated the whole buttons then lasered the plastic away where the icon is.

Ok, so a masking compound might work. By water soluble I was thinking of kids poster paint, with some detergent in so it can stick to the plastic.

Copydex glue, paint it over the symbols, let it dry, then cut around symbols with a scalpel, remove excess glue.
Spray objects then pick out glue covered areas with scalpel point to reveal unpainted areas.

I don't think that any sort of hand applied masking or trimming would be neat enough.

I'd get some white on black stickers made that cover the whole of the flat surfaces. Paint the whole thing black, then apply the stickers last of all.

Reactions: JOG
I don't think that any sort of hand applied masking or trimming would be neat enough.

I'd get some white on black stickers made that cover the whole of the flat surfaces. Paint the whole thing black, then apply the stickers last of all.
You are correct @dubber36 no matter what I did I could never get the icons near enough so I ended up painting them fully gloss black.

I am pleased how they turned out.

You are correct @dubber36 no matter what I did I could never get the icons near enough so I ended up painting them fully gloss black.

I am pleased how they turned out.
Please post a picture up for us all to see, may give others confidence to have a go.

@BRABUS all you need is below:

Wet and dry 1500 grade available from Amazon
Plastikote super multi surface spray paint Gloss from Wickes
The light from @saxoboy plus LED bulbs again from Amazon.

The key is to give a the plastics a good prep with 1500 grade wet and dry using water with washing up liquid so you have a good key for the paint.

With the paint, spray light mist coats and place in your boiler room or on top of your boiler, drys much quicker with better results. Do this three times, check you are happy with the finish and give it a good polish.

The light itself does come apart, the main face comes away as do the three switches. See the tabs for the face around the outside whereas the switches pull out with a little pressure.

Good luck but don’t be scared to give a try.

93578B02-C846-422C-AA32-2CA3EB19A030.jpeg

688D3A93-CBFE-491D-979F-D4A7A49A185F.jpeg

E52A6A16-48D4-4423-9296-C58F4FCDA8D6.jpeg

Back