Spinning fan on battery charger… looking for advice

Cairngorms

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi

I wonder if you can help please. Last few days, I have been hearing a high pitched fan noise. Had a closer look today, and its coming from my Sterling Power Battery-Battery charger. I've got one of THESE... I managed to get a photo under the seat today.

IMG20220424174443.jpg

I had a look at the Users Manual on the webpage above, and that lower amber light seems to be telling me that a thicker cable is needed to due to voltage loss. Is that likely to be causing the fan to be spinning?

I've used the leisure battery a few times since i got the van 6 months ago. this has only just started.

Thanks for any steer, I appreciate it.

John

6 months ago it was cold so the charger didn't need the fan to cool down. Now it does. I have the same unit.
The 2 lights lit together are showing the voltage between the 2 values of 13.4 and 13.8.
If it's flashing alone then it's the volt drop alarm.

Thanks to you all. I've plugged the van into the house mains just to test that the fan will stop when the battery is charged. If not, I will arrange a battery test.
Looks like a very average charger though. Thats a horrendous noise to make - its Scotland in April, not particularly warm ambient temperature.

Last edited:
Just a thought but your Sterling might have got itself into a mess so perhaps you should do a reset on it?
I did mine last year and it sorted out a little glitch on mine, below is a link to a YouTube video on how to do - hope the link works!

Back