Speed Warning Help!!!

Not sure if its different in Wales but here the safety camera partnership are 99% of mobile speed vans and not the police so its with them not the actual police authority, although they do work with them.

The money from the speed awareness course (if caught but a non-police van) goes to improving speed management in that local area - speed bumps, signs etc...

If the police catch you (normally by stopping you) that police force gets the money. I learnt this on my recent awareness course...:whistle:

The ticket has come from Staffordshire Police, and everything is done through the Staffordshire Police website.

It’s a good job I did not get done when I was going warp speed in Stoke last year showing how the 204 bhp was ,like burning off by racers.

If the police catch you (normally by stopping you) that police force gets the money. I learnt this on my recent awareness course...:whistle:

Hmmm.

Not sure that's the case. Fines go to HM Treasury, ie the Guvmint.

Police forces are allowed to set threshold limits individually, the guidelines being the 10% +2mph for starters, so anything over 35 in a 30 would be a fine & the Guvmint, anything less "should" be a free allowance.

The money is so tight these days that forces are now increasing the threshold to whatever they want. For example, 10mph over the posted limit. By doing this they can offer guilty pleas a diversion from the court process and into Awareness Courses. Same financial punishment of course, but the money then stays locally and not nationally.

Around a decade ago the Safety Camera Partnerships were formed, using a set aside budget from all the emergency services, Highways and local authorities. This fund paid for a team of people that were responsible for reducing the costs of crashes both in terms of human tragedy and taxpayer, and setting higher speed thresholds allowed for revenue raising to top up the kitty.

This kitty was used to pay for many educational schemes, young drivers, motorcyclists etc etc.

These days, austerity has forced the local authorities and the Police to fight for the right to this kitty, and hence why some areas are hot on it & others not so much. Camera vans are predominantly non-Police officers and can be local authority peeps or part time Police civilian staff.

In @Tourershine 's case, you have to accept guilt by replying before you know whether you're above or below that threshold. My guess would be a yes, as it pays for the camera system in the first place.

This is the case whether or not you're actually stopped by the Police or whether it's by the damned camera..

Whether this is still the system nationwide nowadays, I have no idea. This is how I understand it, though.

When I did my speed awareness course 2 months ago the guys taking the course spent 30mins explaining there weren’t the police, didn’t work for the police and as I was caught by a safety camera van and not the police my fine would go direct to the community I was caught speeding in. I live in a different police authority to where I was caught and the money will most like go to improving the section near the school (not where I was caught) as it’s a tiny village and they have nothing else to improve.

My letter was not from the police either but from the safety camera people and unless I didn’t pay, the police wouldn’t be involved.

This might be different in other parts of the uk? The speed awareness guys just said if the police catch you (normally by stopping you) the that fine “goes back to the police”. This might be indirectly via the Treasury but ends up in a police pot somewhere.

The police have the option to send you (some guy was stopped speeding on a motorbike) but I don’t know the details.

That sounds about right @Hinsley

I always love the way the course tutors disassociate themselves from the Police to deflect any antagonism, after all "It's not us, it's THEM so stop hitting me.."

They always used to fight over the money if you wanted to attend a course in your home county but were caught miles away. The lady on my course spend a day off work and an overnight stay as the course people insisted she had to attend in the county where she was caught, which was later outlawed I think.

We all know it's a shark scheme, but it has to be done. Without a deterrent we'd all be suffering, but we all break the limits & it's just one of those things I'm afraid.

If you want to wind the course tutors up, start talking stopping distances and reaction times.. But only at the end..!!!!

As I was caught in Wales (and maybe as I live in Wales???) I could pick anywhere to go.

A few people did have some fun winding the tutors up. I did try getting them to answer the “middle lane hoggers” issue and if you can legally under take on a 3+ lane motorway as my lane is moving faster than theirs.

They wouldn’t 100% commit but did state that the hogger is in the wrong and should be done, the lane 1 driver shouldn’t have to move into lane 2 to 3 to 2 to 1 to overtake if there is nothing in lane 1 (you can argue lane 1 is moving faster than lane 2 which happens at junctions and during congestion) but advised it would be down to the copper if he was up on the laws and their interpretation.

As I was caught in Wales (and maybe as I live in Wales???) I could pick anywhere to go.

A few people did have some fun winding the tutors up. I did try getting them to answer the “middle lane hoggers” issue and if you can legally under take on a 3+ lane motorway as my lane is moving faster than theirs.

They wouldn’t 100% commit but did state that the hogger is in the wrong and should be done, the lane 1 driver shouldn’t have to move into lane 2 to 3 to 2 to 1 to overtake if there is nothing in lane 1 (you can argue lane 1 is moving faster than lane 2 which happens at junctions and during congestion) but advised it would be down to the copper if he was up on the laws and their interpretation.

On this point I have been informed that if you are in lane 1 and stay in lane 1 and pass a slower vehicle in lanes 2 or 3 (as long as not speeding) then that is ok. Its when you are in lane 2 , move to lane 1 and overtake its the problem.

On this point I have been informed that if you are in lane 1 and stay in lane 1 and pass a slower vehicle in lanes 2 or 3 (as long as not speeding) then that is ok. Its when you are in lane 2 , move to lane 1 and overtake its the problem.

'Undertake' and I do it all the time now. I'm bored of going around uneducated lemmings, so if they want to sit in the middle lane, when lane 1 is empty, don't moan that I make you jump as I undertake you.

Some of the newer smart motorways are worse. They spend millions giving drivers 4 lanes to cut congestion, and where do they all sit now... lane 3:mad: leaving lane 1 full of lorries, and lane 2 empty. Bring on the days where we all get transported around the country in tubes of air.

Last edited:
'Undertake' and I do it all the time now. I'm bored of going around uneducated lemmings, so if they want to sit in the middle lane, when lane 1 is empty, don't moan that I make you jump as I undertake you.
Happened so mamy times today on my way back on M62, one muppet was bimbling along at about 65-70mph in the middle lane with no one else around, I pull out behind and flash, ignores me, I do the decent thing and overtake before pulling back into the inside lane.

Then watch in my mirror in amazement as, where it widens from 3 to 4 lanes they then pull out into the 3rd lane, without indicating, and stayed there...

Happened so mamy times today on my way back on M62, one muppet was bimbling along at about 65-70mph in the middle lane with no one else around, I pull out behind and flash, ignores me, I do the decent thing and overtake before pulling back into the inside lane.

Then watch in my mirror in amazement as, where it widens from 3 to 4 lanes they then pull out into the 3rd lane, without indicating, and stayed there...

'Indicating' oh, I assumed manufacturers had stopped adding such technical features to many modern cars, along with fog lights, or even actual lights that are not driving lights.
At least VW have the sense to not illuminate the dash until you actually turn your lights on. The amount of people I see driving at night with only the front driving lights on is amazing.

I could rant about this all night with the amount of time I spend on our lovely roads.

But I won't.

You CAN change the speed on the dash speed warning. Just like changing the cruise control speed. I'll have a play with it today and post the method.

When driving at the required maximum speed select 'speed warning' in the MFD and press the 'ok' button. Your current speed appears in a white box, you can hit the ok button again to select or change it with the up and down buttons. Each time the speed limit changes and you alter your speed you can simply hit the ok button twice to set that as the new maximum. Or switch it off by pressing ok once in which
'---' appears.

I’m a scout leader and was taking a group (not in my car) for a night hike, hadn’t even realised there where cameras on that stretch of road. Got caught on way there average 50mph in a 40 and on way home average 54mph in a 40 both letters came on separate days
You were responsible for the safety of other people's children and you thought it okay to break the speed limit by 25% / 35%??!? Dude! Get your shit together

Maybe best be careful with this @Tourershine. Seem to recall there's a stated case on undertaking. Court viewed it as dangerous driving, so potential for disqualification. Where as somebody not paying attention and hogging lane 2, might get careless libelled against them. A lesser charge. Different in slow moving and queuing traffic. Just needs careful judgement as to what speed and conditions make it no longer acceptable to undertake. A bit like filtering on a motorbike. Whens the sensible speed to to drop into a lane. Personally once traffic gets to 20 to 25mph, that's normally the threshold for me. But that's just me of course.

You were responsible for the safety of other people's children and you thought it okay to break the speed limit by 25% / 35%??!? Dude! Get your shit together
Can you not read you exit
READ THE ORIGINAL POST YOU EGIT.... I didn’t have kids in the car!!!

Can you not read you exit

READ THE ORIGINAL POST YOU EGIT.... I didn’t have kids in the car!!!

Read this, it certainly reads like you had a group in someone else's car.
I think to be honest you owe @bullock an apology.

I’m a scout leader and was taking a group (not in my car) for a night hike, hadn’t even realised there where cameras on that stretch of road. Got caught on way there average 50mph in a 40 and on way home average 54mph in a 40 both letters came on separate days

Just count yourselves lucky you weren't caught speeding in Scotland.. We don't get speed awareness courses up here. It's 3 points and a £100 fine to the Sheriff everytime. :mad:

I'd happily pay a larger fine and do a speed awareness course than take the lesser fine and points.

Not had a nip since 2000, been driving vans all my life. Caught by a camera van on the A90 last week @ 70mph......
Sucky!

Back