Speed Warning Help!!!

VW Smith

just been caught on one of those average speed cameras... TWICE!!!!

Does anyone know of a setting in the satnav that actually beeps at you if you go over the speed limit, I don’t mean the one on the dash as that one only sets one speed?

My Toyota Hulu’s and Nissan note satnav had them.

Don't have factory satnav, but if you can use Waze on Carplay/Aandroid that has warnings, or use the limiter if you have cruise.

I always set my cruise about 3-4 mph above the average speed camera limit and leave it at that all the way through. Always amuses me when I see people piling past me before slamming the brakes on when they see a camera and dropping to about 40 mph before racing off at 70 again. I think some people left school before they learned what average means :rolleyes:

I feel for you mate.
I've lost my license twice in my driving life because of totting up points, and only just got a clean license since around 20 years ago.
I agree with @andys. I see drivers doing that on a daily basis and always wonder if they ever got busted.

How do you know you've been caught twice? Have you had 2 separate NIP's?

I’m a scout leader and was taking a group (not in my car) for a night hike, hadn’t even realised there where cameras on that stretch of road. Got caught on way there average 50mph in a 40 and on way home average 54mph in a 40 both letters came on separate days

Studley that’s sounds great, I’m not very tech savvy, need to become a fully paid up member I guess to download and what SD card can I buy as I’ve noticed another slot to the right of the satnav?

Studley that’s sounds great, I’m not very tech savvy, need to become a fully paid up member I guess to download and what SD card can I buy as I’ve noticed another slot to the right of the satnav?

Nor me, i just followed the instructions given and copied it onto my vw sd card. All worked fine. There are plenty of clever guys on here who will help you if you get stuck :thumbsup:

I’m a scout leader and was taking a group (not in my car) for a night hike, hadn’t even realised there where cameras on that stretch of road. Got caught on way there average 50mph in a 40 and on way home average 54mph in a 40 both letters came on separate days
How far apart are the captures - within hours of each other? If you’ve not yet replied to the letters, you could consider replying and requesting a court hearing instead of taking both sets of points - the reason being that you can ask the magistrate to consider only one charge of speeding (it was one round trip, after all).
It’s a similar principle to, say, assaulting someone; you don’t get charged for every punch you throw, but for the whole assault..
Give it a go - you’ve nothing to lose.

I thought about that Ads, as if a police car was following me for a while he couldn’t give me 2 speeding tickets. But I got to the night hike walked for probably 2hrs and came back same way and the speed camera was the same one but in the opposite direction, think I will have to hold my hands up gov. And take the wrap, hopefully they’ll give me one of them as a speed awareness course and so only 3 instead of 6 points

I thought about that Ads, as if a police car was following me for a while he couldn’t give me 2 speeding tickets. But I got to the night hike walked for probably 2hrs and came back same way and the speed camera was the same one but in the opposite direction, think I will have to hold my hands up gov. And take the wrap, hopefully they’ll give me one of them as a speed awareness course and so only 3 instead of 6 points

That's certainly a possibility if you've not done an awareness course in the last 3 years.
As for asking them to consider it as one offence, that's highly unlikely. That's like speeding through one speed camera and getting flashed, and doing the same 10 miles down the road. Two separate offences, or if that was the case and someone got flashed on one camera, they'd just hammer it for the rest of the day thinking they might as well now.

That's certainly a possibility if you've not done an awareness course in the last 3 years.
As for asking them to consider it as one offence, that's highly unlikely. That's like speeding through one speed camera and getting flashed, and doing the same 10 miles down the road. Two separate offences, or if that was the case and someone got flashed on one camera, they'd just hammer it for the rest of the day thinking they might as well now.
Hah, like a free-for-all.. see how many you can rack up.

Consolidation can work for two or three Gatso’s if the speed isn’t mental, if they can be deemed to be within the same journey and - as is in @VW Smith predicament - on the same bit of road. But two hours later probably wouldn’t wash.
It all depends on the court.

And as already said, hopefully you’ll get an offer of a course for one of them at least.

For satnav I use Google maps on my phone, and today is the first time she's warned me of every speed camera I passed.
Think it must be a new facility they've just introduced as I've not changed any settings or intentionally downloaded any new maps or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm blaming you @VW Smith for jinxing me :mad:

A50 Stoke 61 in a 50 two days ago, and the ticket on my doorstep the next day.
Annoyingly the van was sat on the bridge over the A50, and it's just on the brow of the hill where 3 lanes merge into 2, and you have 300 yards to get back in, meaning you're inevitably over the speed limit to get into the lane where no one lets you back in.

Worst part of it, was the new Black Range Rover who was in front of me, going full bore, had no number plates on the front or rear. (something I seem to be seeing far more frequently lately)

Anyway, no excuse I guess.
Clean licence and the fact I haven't done a speed awareness course for 6 years, hopefully means I can do exactly that, and avoid the points.

Anyway, no excuse I guess.
Clean licence and the fact I haven't done a speed awareness course for 6 years, hopefully means I can do exactly that, and avoid the points.

You can do a speed awareness course every three years so you should be fine.

I’ve just registered/paid to get a year of updates from SCDB.info - The Worldwide Speed Camera Database cost €10 for a year of unlimited updates for all of Europe. It’s the only one I could find that’s maintained (this forums is good but is old). I’ve tested it locally and it is showing all the fixed & red light cameras and the known speed van sites. Shows the different type of cameras which you can turn on/off as a poi.

I’m more than happy to pass these onto an admin (@Pauly ???) to upload here. So we can all benefit.

You can do a speed awareness course every three years so you should be fine.

I’ve just registered/paid to get a year of updates from SCDB.info - The Worldwide Speed Camera Database cost €10 for a year of unlimited updates for all of Europe. It’s the only one I could find that’s maintained (this forums is good but is old). I’ve tested it locally and it is showing all the fixed & red light cameras and the known speed van sites. Shows the different type of cameras which you can turn on/off as a poi.

I’m more than happy to pass these onto an admin (@Pauly ???) to upload here. So we can all benefit.

I know in theory you can do the course in my situation, but apparently it's still down to each individual police force if they offer you that or not. You cannot request this as an option yourself.

My Garmin has up to date camera locations, including the mobile vans, and I knew I was speeding, I just didn't expect the camera van on the bridge.

Not sure if its different in Wales but here the safety camera partnership are 99% of mobile speed vans and not the police so its with them not the actual police authority, although they do work with them.

The money from the speed awareness course (if caught but a non-police van) goes to improving speed management in that local area - speed bumps, signs etc...

If the police catch you (normally by stopping you) that police force gets the money. I learnt this on my recent awareness course...:whistle:

Back