Spare wheel security

Savvar

Hi. We collect our new Transporter camper next week. What do owners with a towbar recommend to secure the spare wheel against theft?

Look at Sparesafe

Look at Sparesafe
Hi... It looks great but the small print says it won't fit if there's a towbar. But thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve got a towbar and am looking for a spare wheel lock , post if you find one

Same here, the standard Sparesafe fits fine with the OE removable towbar on my 6.1

Drop them a line as I think it's only some designs that are an issue and I think there may be a simple fix that just needs a different sized bolt:

There are other alternatives to protect the bolt from mole grips/grinder or loop a bike lock up through the chassis and through the wheel. But the Sparesafe is straightforward and a visible (but not intrusive) deterrent. Having had to drop the carrier in the dark and rain on the roadside after my pot hole incident it didn't make using the spare any harder than stock.

Only bit of advice I'd give is put some grease on both bolt threads when you fit, I used copper grease, you really don't want to be trying to crack a seized security bolt that is so protected and they live in the mud and spray.

Back