South Coast Recommendations

Kfant1

T6 Pro
Hi

We’re planning a south coast trip in the summer for 2 weeks. Starting in Newquay and heading across the coast over to Brighton, stopping at a few places along the way.

We are a familly of 3, We live near Sheffield and have never been to the south coast and have no idea what to excpect or where to go. So starting and finishing with the two places we’d like to see the most.

Does anyone have any recommendations, of places to go and see and stay along the way?

We did something similar a few years back. We hired a type 2 bay window camper and toured the south coast. Mrs Donkey wanted to visit Monkey World. As as she religiously watched the TV programme and knows all the rescued animals by name. Luckily for me, just prior to arriving, a weld failed on a clutch cable bracket. So I got to stay in the car park with the van, waiting for the AA man. But Mrs Donkey loved her visit and its good for kids. Dartmouth was nice and you can arrive by steam train. Brighton's great. Lots of unusual shops down the lanes, museums and errrr.....interesting night life. Great place for people watching. Enjoy.

From Newquay I would go to Torquay via Dartmoor and visit Brixham which is a nice fishing harbour town. Then moving on stay on the coast road as much as possible along the Jurassic coast and head to Swanage. Take the chain link ferry to sandbanks and continue along the coast through the New Forest to Lymington. Take the ferry to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight and tour around the coast of the island. Take the ferry from Fishbourne to Portsmouth then along the coast to Brighton.

As above, go along the coast road from Exeter to Southampton, there is so much to see and do.

Take a look at Charmouth, Lyme Regis, west bay, Weymouth, Swanage (we have just stayed at Herston, its a nice site and a good walk into Swanage or a short walk to Herston Halt which is one of the stops on the Swanage railway.

Take the chain ferry from Swanage to Poole, sandbanks is worth a stop, the beach between here and Bournemouth is brilliant for kids.

Then theres Mudeford (great for crabbing, the kids love it) lyndhurst, Lymington (here to the Isle of Wight), the New Forset is always a big hit with the kids with wild ponies, deer and cattle as well as lots of campsites. Then Southamptons got shopping but not much else. At Portsmouth theres port Solent with a few shops and a big marina which is a nice stop but not for too long, Portsmouth historic dockyard is good with lots to do and see even for the kids. (& gunwharf quay for mum to get her shopping fix)

If you dont do the Isle of Wight from lymington (I wouldn’t), get the hovercraft from Southsea, its the last hovercraft in service anywhere in the world, how many kids can say they have had a flight on a hovercraft, they will remember it always...

The hovercraft is well connected for trains and busses on the island so its easy to get around and a good day out, it feels like going back in time.

From Portsmouth, theres Chichester, Hayling island (with a road bridge), Bognor Regis and Goodwood which is worth a look (check to see if they have a breakfast club event which is really worth a look but only 4 Sunday’s in the summer.

As you can see theres much too much for 2 weeks, you can look all of this up on the internet but I’m based just outside Southampton so if you want more info PM me and i will help if i can.

@Daffy @Boris thank you for your help , I think there’s loads to think about. Thank you for the great advice . Definitely given us food for thought.

Hi

We’re planning a south coast trip in the summer for 2 weeks. Starting in Newquay and heading across the coast over to Brighton, stopping at a few places along the way.

We are a familly of 3, We live near Sheffield and have never been to the south coast and have no idea what to excpect or where to go. So starting and finishing with the two places we’d like to see the most.

Does anyone have any recommendations, of places to go and see and stay along the way?
The Isle Of Purbeck is very nice. Load to do if you like walks and the beach. Creech campsite is one of our favs. Good for the kids.

Cornwall alone could fill a couple of weeks!

Having lived in Dorset for 15yrs that county too could fill two weeks when you factor in the beaches frequented by locals avoiding the crushes as well as piling into somewhere like Poole/Bournemouth/Boscombe/Christchurch/Mudeford which is one long Transporter laden connurbation these days, was there last weekend and my waving arm is worn out... no, it hasn't affected my sex life!:oops:

Cornwall alone could fill a couple of weeks!

Having lived in Dorset for 15yrs that county too could fill two weeks when you factor in the beaches frequented by locals avoiding the crushes as well as piling into somewhere like Poole/Bournemouth/Boscombe/Christchurch/Mudeford which is one long Transporter laden connurbation these days, was there last weekend and my waving arm is worn out... no, it hasn't affected my sex life!:oops:

Apparently it may have, dupe!

Ashurst campsite in the New forest is our all time favourite. Very rural, no hookup, no set pitches, lots of horses and a great pub within walking distance ❤️

I live on the South coast at Southampton and my favourite place between Dover and Lands End is Sennen Cove

You need strong arms though,I got 14 waves on the way here but I am here for waves of another kind:D

The view from the van last night was lovely,imagine what it is like in Summer......

22448F0E-3A99-4DA3-B08C-EBF37DEEE559.jpeg

Back