Solid tailgate covering

Danward__

Looking for some ideas.
I have a solid tailgate and would like some inspiration on how to cover the inside of the blanket window. I’ve carpeted the low wooden panel and want to leave the rest metal but happy to have ideas for where the window would be.
Some pics attached of my tailgateE5FC4F00-17BA-4FC4-97B0-DFB24C5F55C2.jpeg3E532D68-8C96-4816-A235-CACA8FF195FD.jpeg

I pondered this very question and then decided on fitting a window. Much happier driving it now. What's your thinking on keeping the solid ?

Ideally I’d like to keep blanked because I also use the van as a work van so carry tools and didn’t want a window really.

Bare steel will be cold in winter, might form condensation and in summer it will be hot.
Having the rear view mirror is a big bonus IMO

I don’t disagree slough bare metal and glass would be similar re heat loss and condescension. With the metal option I can layer with self adhesive insulation before covering.

I bought one of these panels, carpet lined it then stuck it on with foam adhesive. Although, I didnt stick directly to the metal work, I put some 3mm closed cell foam on first as it's relatively easy to remove should I ever want to pull the panel off.

I cut and carpeted a piece of ply. I sikafiex'd a couple of vertical batons in the centre and a baton either side and screwed the ply to the batons. You can just about make out the screws in the photo. Also added silentcoat,insulation and thermofleece behind ply. Does the job for me. Need to change the screws tho, for something darker so can't be seen...work in progress!

IMG_20210603_210729773_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210603_210645759.jpg

IMG_20210603_210608537.jpg

IMG_20210603_210602101_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210603_210550827_HDR.jpg

This is perfect. What did you fix with?
I sound deaden the metal work, then put 3mm sticky back closed cell foam on that then I used the foam adhesive in the link below to stick the carpeted ply panel on. The foam adhesive gets a really good grab with no chance of rattles. I did it with the tailgate open then used some lengths of wood between the ply and the floor to hold it up for an hour while the adhesive went off. Jobs a fish.

"Constructa Pro Adhesive Foam Gun Grade 750ml" Constructa Pro Adhesive Foam Gun Grade 750ml

I sound deaden the metal work, then put 3mm sticky back closed cell foam on that then I used the foam adhesive in the link below to stick the carpeted ply panel on. The foam adhesive gets a really good grab with no chance of rattles. I did it with the tailgate open then used some lengths of wood between the ply and the floor to hold it up for an hour while the adhesive went off. Jobs a fish.

"Constructa Pro Adhesive Foam Gun Grade 750ml" Constructa Pro Adhesive Foam Gun Grade 750ml

spot on. This is what I’ll do. Thanks

20210605_092418.jpg

I also cut mine out of one sheet, using a metal window guard lying next to the original lower panel as a guide. in hindsight i should have cut it slightly different where the 2 fixing holes are exposed but thats one for next time.

Back