Solid or Glazed tailgate

• Thread starter Deleted member 224
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 224

Am thinking of going for a solid tailgate on our new T32 Kombi in Starlight blue. Does anyone else have a solid tailgate and does it look OK compared to a glazed one?

Yes I do , Not a Kombi but having windows fitted soon, Cant make my mind up on a tailgate window yet, Firstly as im going to have a vw bike rack fitted on the back so wont see it, and also added security from prying eyes.

I went for solid tailgate on my T32 Kombi for the security benefits, if I was ordering again I think I would go for glazed just do I could have a rear view camera on my f770 dash camera then wrap the glass. Other side I've ended up adding a bed in the rear so the solid tailgate is now better insulated and one less surface to condensate with a nighttime of heavy breathing.

thanks guys, i really cant make my mind up. I wont use the rear window as such so dont really need it but just worried it will look too much like a van van with a solid rear. The dealer just emailed a pic of a starlight blue kombi with glazed back and im now thinking solid might be better lol

IMG-20160908-WA0001.jpg

I decided to go Solid, found this image online and as i have a rear spoiler too thought it looked great as a solid rear. Deposit now paid, just a long wait to go

VW-Transporter-T6-van-new-rear-tail-gate-spoiler-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic, looks great! Is that the standard VW tint?

I’m stuck in a conundrum about the rear of our van, we have slide windows in the van but not the rear’s done.

Our van won’t be a full conversion but a day van, the roof is done and the inside is all lined and carpeted etc, shortly we will be getting the rear bed installed. However as the children will be sat in the rear seats on trips local and abroad, a couple of questions:-

1. As the van is now and IF the rear seats were installed will the van be claustrophobic/cause motion sickness as there is no windows next to them.

2. How much will it weaken the structure and affect how the lining has been installed.

I would leave it for better security.
I would add dummy glass for asthetics(sp) and also you could always move the sicky ppl outside.. :whistle:

Each to their own really.
It will make zero difference to the structure. Unless someone wants to tell me all caravelles and shuttles are weaker.

I only run caravelles and shuttles mainly because I cant do the whole 60mph thing. I love the idea of the extra windows and when you are stopped/camping it is nice to see the views all round......HOWEVER...... If you are camping in it, you can feel the cold from them so unless you have a good heater and some good curtains it will bite you. I use kiravans black out curtains which do a great job and have the ebers heater installed. Toasty but you can feel the difference over a friends carpetted rear panels.
Having the rear windows is not £50 either so only you can really decide if its a cost that will be worth it. I love my windows but they have their downsides having said that in the summer. spot on.
Ask the kids if they want windows or christmas presents? he he

@Tony&Dawn chose a solid tailgate for their Hillside Birchover, I think for insulation and privacy reasons. Tony's not been on the forum for a few weeks but would be worth tapping him for an opinion...
Cheers
Phil

img_3165-jpg.15718

Many thanks for your input and advice, this is my van as it stands. Van has gone in this morning to have the Planar fitted and the rnr bed next March time.

I will pop to my nearest converter to see if they have any vans that they are working on with the full windows.

41547A80-F7B1-40A1-A5E7-A14A5688F992.jpeg

I chose to keep the rear tailgate as solid for a few reasons, our main reason was when you sleep in your van and create condensation I didn’t want this above my head, also I don’t like ANY of the rear curtain options or that you can visibly see your bedding from behind when travelling around.

Having a rear window gives near Zero visibility benefits as you mainly use your door mirrors, sensors or camera for reversing.

Van feels more cosy and secure also when sleeping.

These are of course only my opinions.

I chose to keep the rear tailgate as solid for a few reasons, our main reason was when you sleep in your van and create condensation I didn’t want this above my head, also I don’t like ANY of the rear curtain options or that you can visibly see your bedding from behind when travelling around.

Having a rear window gives near Zero visibility benefits as you mainly use your door mirrors, sensors or camera for reversing.

Van feels more cosy and secure also when sleeping.

These are of course only my opinions.
We have a rear tailgate window. To be honest we were not bothered either way and we have had it vinyl covered so can’t see in from outside.once you have pillows and duvet and various cosy fluffy stuff that “er that must be obeyed”insists upon you can’t see if it’s solid or not .:)
When it comes down to it , we did not buy brand new so we went for the best van we could afford . It so happened to have a window in the back.

IMG_5324.JPG IMG_5330.JPG We had rear quarter windows fitted in ours and really like the way its made the back of the van lighter and its definitely improved visability. We have a tailgate with a window too which to be honest,i like being able to see out of when driving/parking even though we have a camera and sensors but everyones different. Just waiting for our blinds from Swellshades now because you definitely need something for privacy if sleeping in the van. We have a Webasto so the cold doesnt matter although to be honest,we havnt noticed it yet.

Thanks very much for you guidance tony&dawn and van man. I do like the look of the van Martin.

As we are going for the day van use, I don’t have to worry about any units.

I decided to not go with rear windows as I have my bike rack permanently fitted so wasn't gaining anything, also if I was parking off road / Layby for any reason and sleeping in the back, it was just peace of mind should some scrote decide to throw a brick through the window I wouldn't get a face full of glass.

Back