Solar PWM & MPPT Controllers - How I Done It -

thats looks ok. . .

i use 4mm PV cable for the extension cables to get the panels out in the sun. : https://amzn.to/3NWbFhx

i use SB50 Andersons for the 12v POWER SIDE, : https://amzn.to/44vziUu

i use MC4 solar connectors for the panel side, : https://amzn.to/3CVBrgq

i use awg8 silicone cable for the tails into the MPPT . . . : https://amzn.to/3pBxk6j

i use a fuse Anderson for the battery connection: https://amzn.to/44vziUu

this is how i set mine up . . .

+++++++++++++++++++

1688392644120.png

++++++++++++++++

here is a recent battery build i done. . . 4173Wh (330Ah) Lithium Battery Box -- How I Done It --

1688392611740.png1688392626290.png

++++++

++++++

Still looking to add the solar upgrade but just seen amazon have another Prime day in Oct. Has anyone ever seen MPPT come up on any deals?
Screenshot_20230922_145358_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Still looking to add the solar upgrade but just seen amazon have another Prime day in Oct. Has anyone ever seen MPPT come up on any deals?
View attachment 214893
CamelCamelCamel should show the historical prices (though not deals/vouchers)

Always useful as it's surprising how much stuff on Prime Day/Black Friday jumps in price the week or so before...

Reactions: CAB
CamelCamelCamel should show the historical prices (though not deals/vouchers)

Always useful as it's surprising how much stuff on Prime Day/Black Friday jumps in price the week or so before...
Yes I normally use Camel but like you say it doesn't reflect their prime deals. This price has not changed much in a while. Just didn't want to buy it all and then see it all come up on a deal... Might just sit tight until Oct

The Vic has a higher PV input range. 75v vs 25v or newer units 50v

But lower total output 15A vs 25A

Both have the app.

Our the two i would choose the Vic for MPPT, but the Renogy is still very capable.

Look at the Vic 100/20 or 100/30 for higher power units

The Vic has a higher PV input range. 75v vs 25v or newer units 50v

But lower total output 15A vs 25A

Both have the app.

Our the two i would choose the Vic for MPPT, but the Renogy is still very capable.

Look at the Vic 100/20 or 100/30 for higher power units
Dell, I read that renogy can get overheat with this mppt and dc-dc unit especially when charged from PV. Could that be another reason to eliminate that input?

Another fantastic guide @Dellmassive - this one and the main solar one has made it all seem very simple!

Prices for the victron 100/30 seem to be an all time low right now, I'm tempted to pick one up for when I install solar later this year!

1000006329.png

The 75/15 is 4 quid off the lowest too, £59 Vs £55.

Last edited:
Dell, I read that renogy can get overheat with this mppt and dc-dc unit especially when charged from PV. Could that be another reason to eliminate that input?
The 50A version gets fairly warm when pushing 40/50A.... But stays cool at 30A and below.

The unit defaults to 25/25A when it sees voltage on the PV input... So you need to isolate either IP to get the full rate on the other.

Ie 25A+ on the DC DC side.

Fyi... You can set the current limit via the app.

Another fantastic guide @Dellmassive - this one and the main solar one has made it all seem very simple!

Prices for the victron 100/30 seem to be an all time low right now, I'm tempted to pick one up for when I install solar layer this year!

View attachment 225664

The 75/15 is 4 quid off the lowest too, £59 Vs £55.
Glad the guides are informative for you....yep now is a good time to buy.

Pre start of season and after Xmas and new year prices tend to drop.

I've got the Vic Smart solar 15,20,30A units... They are all very capable.... And my preferred choice.

I was running T6F summer camp with two lots of 400w pv with 100/30s (plus a few lithium's and inverters)

The only difference is the physical size of these units.

Last edited:
The 50A version gets fairly warm when pushing 40/50A.... But stays cool at 30A and below.

The unit defaults to 25/25A when it sees voltage on the PV input... So you need to isolate either IP to get the full rate on the other.

Ie 25A+ on the DC DC side.

Fyi... You can set the current limit via the app.
when comparing it with victron 100/30 there is no realy benefit for victron here except for 5A difference but in terms of W solar input renogy can take 660W vs victron only 440W. I get the point of overheat of renogy on full 50A but if run only solar on at 25A it is still better option than victron unless upgrading to 100/50 or even 150/45

With the Victron there is some advantage to having common data if you have other Victron devices.

Also there is reputation. Renogy and Victron are both well regarded but Victron have been at it a lot longer.

I'm new to this but the other advantage of having separate B2B and MPPT devices is control over charging power and allowing bigger capacity.

With the Renogy, if you have solar and don't want a cut off then you're only ever going to get 25a from the B2B charger while driving.

A separate 50a B2B charger and 100/30 MPPT means 50a from the alternator and up to 30a from solar.

All in one box is simpler and cheaper but has limits. Separate systems are more complex and expensive but give greater flexibility and power.

The starter battery charging feed is a nice feature, but that doesn't look hard to add.

Last edited:
I'm new to this but the other advantage of having separate B2B and MPPT devices is control over charging power and allowing bigger capacity.

With the Renogy, if you have solar and don't want a cut off then you're only ever going to get 25a from the B2B charger while driving.

A separate 50a B2B charger and 100/30 MPPT means 50a from the alternator and up to 30a from solar.

All in one box is simpler and cheaper but has limits. Separate systems are more complex and expensive but give greater flexibility and power.

The starter battery charging feed is a nice feature, but that doesn't look hard to add.
Paul, I think you are right that the main advantage is using both at the same time i.e. dc-dc and PV it make sense to have separate B2B; otherwise higher version of victron for larger panels only.

Back