Solar panel on bike rack

Nigel W

T6 Guru
I really don’t want to fix panels to my roof so what are your thoughts on fixing a panel to the bike rack?
We don’t have any bikes so it is currently just a very expensive washing line and it occurred to me that I could fix a panel as per the picture.
The cabling is already in place as I have been using a solar suitcase and it feeds through the tailgate.
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

8FB30EF7-9003-4C7D-86B0-9CCEDEE4AFCE.jpeg

Not sure what your use-case is, but you could end up restricting which direction you parked-up in your van - you may have to face away from the views/ coastline, in order to maximise solar input or, conversely, compromise solar input in order to face the views/coastline. Also, if you want solar input when driving (and why wouldn't you?), you'd have to make damn sure the panel was well secured.

Not sure what your use-case is, but you could end up restricting which direction you parked-up in your van - you may have to face away from the views/ coastline, in order to maximise solar input or, conversely, compromise solar input in order to face the views/coastline. Also, if you want solar input when driving (and why wouldn't you?), you'd have to make damn sure the panel was well secured.
Very good points but we always try to park in the shade so a roof mounted panel would also be in the shade and with a side opening roof probably in the wrong direction as well. Currently we use a suitcase and place this out in the sun but we need a bit more power so I thought a fixed panel on the rack (well bolted on) suplimented with the suitcase as and when needed might be the way forward.
I often see people with bikes on the back in bags which appear stable so I guess my concern is just how much drag/lift is there and would it be safe for a flat panel?
I think I have more chance of finding the holy grail than solving the solar panel riddle….hahaha

Very good points but we always try to park in the shade so a roof mounted panel would also be in the shade and with a side opening roof probably in the wrong direction as well. Currently we use a suitcase and place this out in the sun but we need a bit more power so I thought a fixed panel on the rack (well bolted on) suplimented with the suitcase as and when needed might be the way forward.
I often see people with bikes on the back in bags which appear stable so I guess my concern is just how much drag/lift is there and would it be safe for a flat panel?
I think I have more chance of finding the holy grail than solving the solar panel riddle….hahaha
I'm no expert Nigel, but I wouldn't want to risk high speed driving with a flexible panel in that position and I might even be wary of a rigid panel. Hopefully others will be along to provide you with real-world experience. :)

I'm no expert Nigel, but I wouldn't want to risk high speed driving with a flexible panel in that position and I might even be wary of a rigid panel. Hopefully others will be along to provide you with real-world experience. :)
Hi - just for clarity, and sorry I didn’t say, but It is a fully framed rigid panel with pre drilled fixing points

Reactions: Bav
You would never get way with that here in Spain or I believe in EU. I would be checking with insurance as well before driving with it. Whilst parked up not a problem as I have used ours for that.

Bike rack yes, solar panel rack driving on roads........ "I don't think so"

Reactions: Bav
You would never get way with that here in Spain or I believe in EU. I would be checking with insurance as well before driving with it. Whilst parked up not a problem as I have used ours for that.

Makes sense - if it were to come into contact with a pedestrian or other road user, there could be a messy outcome!

Whereas the cycle carrier hitting someone would just cause blunt trauma! :think smile bounce:

Interesting….so I could drive in Spain with four electric adult bikes on the back and or a big storage box but not a little solar panel?
4-bike-cycle-carrier-rack-towbar-mounted-10046-1-p.jpg

Interesting….so I could drive in Spain with four electric adult bikes on the back and or a big storage box but not a little solar panel?
View attachment 165986
If that's the photo above then NO you will be fined for failing to display the rear reflector panel (required by law in Spain). As the rack is for bikes (maybe a box) as soon as the police see it's not being used for the correct reason they will stop you and fine you.

Needed:
red.jpg
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Reflective-Carriers-Trailers-Caravans/dp/B09HKLCPDC

If that's the photo above then NO you will be fined for failing to display the rear reflector panel (required by law in Spain). As the rack is for bikes (maybe a box) as soon as the police see it's not being used for the correct reason they will stop you and fine you.

Needed:
View attachment 165988
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Reflective-Carriers-Trailers-Caravans/dp/B09HKLCPDC
Ah…..gotcha so I need to fit a sliding fixing on the top of the panel so that I can push the rack up into the closed position and the panel would then sit behind it - cheers.

Ah…..gotcha so I need to fit a sliding fixing on the top of the panel so that I can push the rack up into the closed position and the panel would then sit behind it - cheers.
In UK yes (maybe as I stated not sure insurance would cover it in a case of road accident (RTA)) in Spain no - if anything is carried on the rack the rear reflector panel must be displayed whilst on the road.
At the end of the day, what ever you decide, it's your choice.

What I would do is buy a set of DC connectors and split the DC cable, allowing you to put the panel in the van for transport. Then strap the flying leads to the rack, if it stay permanently on the tailgate, to secure the ends in transit. That way you arrive at the camping spot, pull the panel out of your van and temporally secure on the rack when stationary.
I bought a 200 Watt Suitcase from Renogy which rests on the floor but in the evening can sit on our bike rack if needed. Also good for drying washing.

IMG_20220717_205142.jpg

Last edited:
@Nigel W can you share how you take the feed from the solar suitcase into the vehicle please? To date I have been feeding my cables manually through the window with wind deflectors to prevent any water getting in if it rains. Interested to see how you did it.

@Nigel W can you share how you take the feed from the solar suitcase into the vehicle please? To date I have been feeding my cables manually through the window with wind deflectors to prevent any water getting in if it rains. Interested to see how you did it.
@DaveCrampton hi, I also have the Renogy suitcase but the 100 watt version which is a bit underpowered hence my thoughts on adding in another panel and contemplating fixing it on an the unused bike rack. On reflection I will revert to carrying it in the van with the suitcase as before.
My battery is in the rear of the van beneath a wardrobe behind the rear wheel. I have fitted and hard wired a Victron MPPT controller and on the solar side have run cables to the bottom of the tailgate terminating with Anderson connectors.
When on site I have an extension lead which I just plug in and then run out of the bottom of the tailgate and just close the tailgate over it. It doesn’t mark the cable at all.
Before I had the Victron I used the controller on the panel and had a fused short lead from the battery to an Anderson plug at the tailgate
below are links to the plugs, fused lead and connectors you can add MC4 onto.

Last edited:
If you don’t have bikes and do t intend to get or carry bikes, why do you have a bike rack? Best to sell it, reduce your fuel consumption and just put the panels on the grass! Then spend all that money on you favourite refreshment and chill in the sun while the solar charge the batteries :cool:

If you don’t have bikes and do t intend to get or carry bikes, why do you have a bike rack? Best to sell it, reduce your fuel consumption and just put the panels on the grass! Then spend all that money on you favourite refreshment and chill in the sun while the solar charge the batteries :cool:
I will leave it to you to explain to the boss where the cloths drying line has gone- haha
When we do long trips and are loaded up the rack is handy for putting the chairs/table/windbreak on (and yes we have a red hatched sign for France and Spain)

Needed:
View attachment 165988
Quick question @Qnapper - is the above reflector panel required for bikes on a tow-bar-mounted carrier? I'm guessing yes, but would be good if you could confirm.

Quick question @Qnapper - is the above reflector panel required for bikes on a tow-bar-mounted carrier? I'm guessing yes, but would be good if you could confirm.
Required for any bike carrier (or anything else for that matter) that extends past the rear of the vehicle. Not required in France, different ones needed for Spain/Italy etc and limitation in Portugal on how far it can extend too (which could be an issue with the VW 4 bike racks as they stick out miles!)

Edit: this is based on my research but may not be current or accurate so best double check.

Required for any bike carrier (or anything else for that matter) that extends past the rear of the vehicle. Not required in France, different ones needed for Spain/Italy etc and limitation in Portugal on how far it can extend too (which could be an issue with the VW 4 bike racks as they stick out miles!)

Edit: this is based on my research but may not be current or accurate so best double check.
Thanks @cgtmiles.

Seems to me that the reflective sign requirement is so much better than the UK approach, which is to tie a Hi-Viz vest on the end (...or not!!! :mad:).

Back