Solar panel connector broken away

shaggyjh

Just joined as picked up a 66 plate T6 campervan yesterday.

The solar panel has a broken connector, it looks like it was siliconed on before, I guess this is unrepairable and time to source a new one? Any tips on removing the panel from the pop top roof?

Thanks

IMG_20210717_142202.jpgIMG_20210717_142211.jpgIMG_20210717_142243.jpg

Dont be so hasty. Its possible theres enough of the tags left to ali-solder new connections. Changing a glued-on panel is a nightmare, to be avoided if possible ;)

From the photo’s I can’t see why it needs to be replaced, more a case of re-attaching with 3M automotive tape, different widths available. Scotch VHB Permanent Double-Sided External Mounting Tape Grey 5m x 19mm

If the connection is damaged beyond repair a waterproof splice can be made with 3M Scotchcast

If I had a defective self adhesive solar panel I wouldn’t even consider trying to remove it. I would opt to fit a slightly larger one over the top.

It might be repairable, you'd need to disassemble the black box and see what's inside it (could be potted) and work out the next steps.
Clean all the old tape off the box and panel without damaging what's left of the tabs sticking out of the panel, then reattach the box to the panel securely ensuring the tabs come up into the box inside, once any adhesives have set (I'd be tempted to use PU adhesive-windscreen sealant/Puraflex 40) go about reattaching the tabs to the parts inside the box and finally reseal the box.

I was more concerned about whether there was potting compound in it which would make it difficult to reconnect the tabs cleanly

Hi Rob
We have a rib bed which has 2 doors on the kick panel, one we use as the toilet storage, we could only fit a fiammia bi pot 30 which is 30cm tall and just fits under the bed with maybe 10mm to spare.

From the photo’s I can’t see why it needs to be replaced, more a case of re-attaching with 3M automotive tape, different widths available. Scotch VHB Permanent Double-Sided External Mounting Tape Grey 5m x 19mm

If the connection is damaged beyond repair a waterproof splice can be made with 3M Scotchcast

If I had a defective self adhesive solar panel I wouldn’t even consider trying to remove it. I would opt to fit a slightly larger one over the top.
If you want to get access to the connector components at a later date DONT use 3M Scotchcast as I listed earlier.
There are plenty of re-enterable gel potting agents available to use instead.

The case is the easier bit from what I can make out from the photos? There’s very little left of the tabs on the solar panel itself from what I can see so soldering something solid on there could be a challenge. It’s worth a try though as removing the panel will be a pain.

Maybe try turning the box through 90 degree so the contacts are vertical and lined up with the tabs on the panel, then try and solder a connection between each contact and then seal up?

The case is the easier bit from what I can make out from the photos? There’s very little left of the tabs on the solar panel itself from what I can see so soldering something solid on there could be a challenge. It’s worth a try though as removing the panel will be a pain.

Maybe try turning the box through 90 degree so the contacts are vertical and lined up with the tabs on the panel, then try and solder a connection between each contact and then seal up?
I hope for @shaggyjh sake he doesn’t do all this and then find the cells are fried anyway :eek::eek:

Thanks all for the suggestions. Think I'll try the voltmeter across the contacts as suggested and go from there, although I think it was the middle contact on the actual panel that was very flimsy.

Back