Solar for Keeping the Battery Topped Up

StormUk

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, I leave my van parked for several weeks at a time when I go away to work. I am thinking of investing in a small solar panel just to keep the batteries topped up. Can anyone suggest something suitable please??

take a look here:

and here:

you will need 50-100w to fit on the dash inside the van due to size,

you will need 8A max if running via a 12v socket (so 100w panel) - or the socket will melt.

you need a solar panel that comes with a solar controller - either PWM or MPPT.

any battery connection need to be fused - a lot of kicks come with an unfused battery connection, so make sure you add your own fuse.

I've not tested this specific one , but its an example:

100w fold panel,

with PWM controller.

the battery clips will need a fuse adding.

or add your own 12v plug to back feed via a 12v socket.

1704195251660.png

You could always get a portable jump pack?
Keep it in the van so you could jump it if needed when you come back.

You could always get a portable jump pack?
Keep it in the van so you could jump it if needed when you come back.
Wouldn’t it be better to keep the battery topped up rather than it possibly getting damaged by letting it get so flat it needs a jump? Not sure what voltage the van won’t start at.

Lead Acid based batteries like to be kept reasonably full. They are not fuel tanks you can top up to the same level each time, every discharge erodes a little bit of capacity.

If they drop to the point you need a jump pack then damage will have been done no matter what and capacity lost.

If you're looking for something straightforward, these are good, I have used one for years, plugged into dash top socket.
Only issue is that my van has to face North when parked on the driveway :confused:
i wouldn't recommend those. . . (no offence intended, but I've tested them and wasnt up to scratch)(but you could prove me wrong with any BM2 battery voltage plots showing the battery being charged) - https://amzn.to/3TLefvk

for £55 your cash can be well spent else where.

why?

"Max power: 4.5w; working current: up to 250mA" - not enough to counter act the discharge over a 24hrs day with 6hrs usable day light.

testing shows 50W min required, preferably 100w, for a T6 with a 12v leisure system.

no solar charger mppt or pwm controller, - concerns, only a diode used for any back feed or over charging

un fused battery connections, - safety concerns if lead was crushed under bonnet? - unfused battery connection.

++++

++++

see the testing in the vid. . . .

1704208527860.png

Wouldn’t it be better to keep the battery topped up rather than it possibly getting damaged by letting it get so flat it needs a jump? Not sure what voltage the van won’t start at.
Yes I agree, if your only leaving it for a few weeks then the battery should last anyway, its more of a last resort for piece of mind so your not stranded

@Dellmassive - I can't disagree with your greater knowledge, but there are many of us who are even reluctant to change the battery in their key fob! :unsure:
sure, . . . and i do get that.

++++

i only offer my my journey of learning, experience, testing and findings.

its up to you lot to decide what to do with that knowledge.

++++

if your setup works for you that's great. - my version of that didn't work out so well.

Back