Solar fault (ctek d250)

8o8

Connected up my solar last night, so from panel down through the van to mc4 connectors under the passenger seat (with 200a power analyser) to a Ctek d250 under the driver seat. Tested this morning and have 21v to under passenger seat, nothing on the power analyser?? And across the ctek 3v??? Where could my issue be. Using solar input and negative on the terminal on ctek.

Take the analyser out the circuit and see what v you get at the CTEK. Also what are the indications on the CTEK showing?

21v from the solar and 3v at the ctek terminals. I need to remove the driver's seat tonight and check the voltage at the ctek without it being connected.

I've taken the analyser out, and still losing 18v from the passenger seat connection to the driver seat ctek terminals? Nagative issue maybe?

I'd certainly check all your connections. Also let us know what lights you're getting on the CTEK.

Check the polarity.

Solar +ve to ctek.

Solar -ve to bodywork ground.

Note power meters are directional so make sure you have I the right way round.

Panel voltage will drop as you start to draw current.

Is it preferable to connect the solar -ve to ground/chassis or ctek -ve? Guessing the analyser isn't working as it isn't seeing a load as such? Will have a play later and let you know how it goes.

either - or

as long as its a good ground.

1590503731052.png

got some pics for us to see?

Thanks for all your input, took the driver seat out and traced the cabling back and found a mc4 connector wasn't in far enough. Ctek pulling around 20v through now. Just need to check my bm3 readouts and hopefully all sorted.

IMG_20200526_193258.jpg

IMG_20200526_193306.jpg

I used two panels, hooked up in parallel, to increase the current rating. Ran my lead-acid sealed battery down to 10v then hooked up the panels. Took about 5 days to bring the battery up to 12.3v.
5 days !!!!! - thats a very long time !! - what was the size panels you used?

I used two panels, hooked up in parallel, to increase the current rating. Ran my lead-acid sealed battery down to 10v then hooked up the panels. Took about 5 days to bring the battery up to 12.3v.

Running the battery down to 10v is quite likely to have damaged it I’m afraid.

Back