So I have a leak!

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have been sleeping in the back of my Kombi this week as I am away in it and the bed wasn't finished in time or else I would never have noticed this leak I don't think.

We had heavy rain and on passenger side in the cargo area water was running from the bolt holding the lining in place! It's the dolt/clip (or whatever it's called) that's level with runner for the sliding door. It runs down onto the wheel arch. I have videoed it to show the dealer when I get back as doubt they will beleive it. When I had come off the motorway yesterday and parked up the exterior trim on the window of sliding door was hanging off from the top! I have pushed it back on but doesn't look like it's going to stay on. Do you think the leak is connected ?

Hi I remembered seeing this post on another forum Hope it might help
Noticed a couple of spots of water in the rear wings when insulating my van. Appear to be coming from the rear door slider rails where they bolt to the body through to the inside of the rear wing - above the wheel arch - behind the ply panels. Water spots appear to "bleed" through the bolts. All sealed up and dry as a bone. If you have got your interior in bits - worth sealing up whilst you are there Fixings numbered 15 on this picture for reference.....seal these - 4 on each side.

Hi I remembered seeing this post on another forum Hope it might helpNoticed a couple of spots of water in the rear wings when insulating my van. Appear to be coming from the rear door slider rails where they bolt to the body through to the inside of the rear wing - above the wheel arch - behind the ply panels. Water spots appear to "bleed" through the bolts. All sealed up and dry as a bone. If you have got your interior in bits - worth sealing up whilst you are there Fixings numbered 15 on this picture for reference.....seal these - 4 on each side.
Thanks ever so much for this! Just great! I will show this the dealer when i get home

Hi I remembered seeing this post on another forum Hope it might helpNoticed a couple of spots of water in the rear wings when insulating my van. Appear to be coming from the rear door slider rails where they bolt to the body through to the inside of the rear wing - above the wheel arch - behind the ply panels. Water spots appear to "bleed" through the bolts. All sealed up and dry as a bone. If you have got your interior in bits - worth sealing up whilst you are there Fixings numbered 15 on this picture for reference.....seal these - 4 on each side.
Yes, that was my post on the "other one". Really easy fix. DIY and you will all be 100% sure it's done correctly. Have a good look round with a torch first so you can see the metal internal fixing nuts AND the white plastic clip ends both coming in through external panel. Blob of silicone worked in with a wet finger. Honestly, fix this yourselves - the extreme ends are fiddly - dealers will give up or miss out.

Ps - check your roof rail blanking plugs are tight too :thumbsup:
I have self fitted an awning rail to these and I wondered if it was this! I think as its that side it's the fact I have fitted the awning rail to the roof rail bolts! I might put some silicone in there and re attach what you think?

I have self fitted an awning rail to these and I wondered if it was this! I think as its that side it's the fact I have fitted the awning rail to the roof rail bolts! I might put some silicone in there and re attach what you think?
Potentially. Try sealing them and water test after 24 hrs.

Yes, that was my post on the "other one". Really easy fix. DIY and you will all be 100% sure it's done correctly. Have a good look round with a torch first so you can see the metal internal fixing nuts AND the white plastic clip ends both coming in through external panel. Blob of silicone worked in with a wet finger. Honestly, fix this yourselves - the extreme ends are fiddly - dealers will give up or miss out.

Hi, I've got the same problem after removing the panels on my kombi to sound deaden/insulate I noticed water on the wheel arch and the factory fitted wool/sound deadening(?) was wet. Have you got some photo's and did you remove any external trim/rail or did you apply the silicone over the top of the internal nuts? My van is still under warranty so can take to the dealers. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've got the same problem after removing the panels on my kombi to sound deaden/insulate I noticed water on the wheel arch and the factory fitted wool/sound deadening(?) was wet. Have you got some photo's and did you remove any external trim/rail or did you apply the silicone over the top of the internal nuts? My van is still under warranty so can take to the dealers. Thanks in advance.
Sealed from the inside with a wet use good quality silicone. Have a good look inside the rear wing with a torch before you go in with a mastic gun nozzle. Silver nuts and the ends of white plastic trim clips - seal over the top and smooth over the silicone with a wet finger. Mine has been bone dry since. No issues. This is one job you are better doing yourself. Water test after 24 hrs then trim back on :thumbsup:

The roof rail bolts have a rubber washer under the head, when you put a rail on or anything else, you leave the washer in the roof, place fitting on top, then another washer under bolt head, and you can also use plumbers PTFE tape on the thread as an additional measure.

If you don't put an extra washer on, you will not have a watertight seal..

Back