sludge on oil filler cap!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Topping up the oil today, I noticed some sludge on the oil filler cap and in the top of the filler tube. 3500 miles....put half a litre in. It's the first time I've had the filler cap off otherwise I'd have noticed it sooner. Surely not a good sign......hope to god the head gasket hasn't gone already. Coolant level is fine and no sludge on the dipstick.
Hmmmmmm?????????

No i think it makes sense, a few have mentioned this and the attached pdf explains it :thumbsup:

Thanks Pipe&Slippers and Pauly.........I've read it. Thing is, I don't do short journeys in mine.......unless 12 miles each way is considered short????? I'll mention it to the dealer but tbh, I'm not overly concerned. No sludge on dipstick and coolant level is fine. Hey......I've got 4.5 years of warranty remaining!!!

Hmm.. On my 66 plate 204 TDI I thought I would check the oil and cap...
Caravelle has done 11,500 miles. In the first year it did about 700 miles when I bought it.
Concerned about the grey sludge / Goo / Gunk - do people think this is due to the initial year of short journeys?
Since I got the car in January I've done about 10,800 miles (in 10 months).
Shortest journey is 25 miles each way, normal commute is 45 miles each way, and I frequently do 250 miles - 500 miles in a day.
I never push the engine until it's up to a min of 80 degrees (oil temp, not water).
It's not had it's first oil service / inspection yet - due in about 40 days.
The oil is black, and quite thin, and a bit low so I'm strongly tempted to bring forward the service at VW.
I've cleaned out about a golf-ball size but it goes quite deep into the pipe.
There was a white vapour coming out of the pipe following a 50 mile trip today..
Thoughts?

Back